[News] AGPL Promoted as Medicine for Fog Computing

  • Subject: [News] AGPL Promoted as Medicine for Fog Computing
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 01:59:52 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Affero GPL does not solve the open source/cloud revenue dilemma

,----[ Quote ]
| Some commenters have proposed that the
| Affero GPL is a potential solution to this
| problem since it applies the requirements
| of the GNU GPL to code distributed over a
| network, updating the GPL for a SaaS and
| cloud age. However, there are a number of
| reasons why this is not necessarily the
| case. Here are three of them.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2009/11/23/the-affero-gpl-does-not-solve-the-open-sourcecloud-revenue-dilemma/

Clearly there is a threat to open source vendors from cloud-based services.

,----[ Quote ]
| Had Sun launched MySQL-as-a-service on EC2
| it could have grabbed the market share that
| AWS will now grab with RDS. Iâm not sure
| why Sun failed to do this, incidentally.
| FathomDB did it, although it lacked the
| market presence to prevent AWS stealing the
| limelight. I would argue that Sun/MySQL
| could have done so.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2009/11/20/open-source-and-the-cloud-the-quick-and-the-dead/

Recent:

GPLv3/AGPLv3 Adoption: If It Happened Too Fast, I'd Be Worried

,----[ Quote ]
| Since the release of GPLv3, technology pundits have been opining about how
| adoption is unlikely, usually citing Linux's still-GPLv2 status as (often
| their only) example. Even though I'm a pro-GPLv3 (and, specifically,
| pro-AGPLv3) advocate, I have never been troubled by slow adoption, as long as
| it remained on a linear upswing from release day onward (which it has).
`----

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/blog/2008/nov/13/gplv3-agplv3-adoption/

Related:

AGPLv3 Keeps Open Source Vibrant in Age of SaaS

,----[ Quote ]
`----

https://fossbazaar.org/?q=content/agplv3-keeps-open-source-vibrant-age-saas