[News] OLPC with Sugar (and GNU/Linux) Spreads Free Media

  • Subject: [News] OLPC with Sugar (and GNU/Linux) Spreads Free Media
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:37:22 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Powerful Ideas in Sugar Learning Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| The Sugar software for the OLPC XO (and,
| with Sugar on a Stick, for almost any other
| recent computer with an x86 processor) is
| based in part on Seymour Papert's
| educational classic, Mindstorms: Children,
| Computers, and Powerful Ideas.
|
| [...]
|
| Another powerful idea is to replace printed
| textbooks with media and software under
| Free Licenses such as GPL (GNU Public
| License) or Creative Commons, as California
| has begun to do with PDFs of textbooks. But
| we can go further that that. We can use
| Sugar tools to create models in math and
| science. We can use the XO for data
| acquisition, using Measure and Record, the
| digital oscilloscope and camera, and we can
| use the math capabilities of Sugar software
| to analyze the data. We can help children
| explore the vast realms of art, music, and
| literature. But how do we get children to
| that level?
`----

http://www.olpcnews.com/software/sugar/designing_sugar_lessons.html

Showcase your free and open source projects

,----[ Quote ]
| OLPC NZ (One Laptop Per Child) will be
| there to entertain children with the new XO
| laptops. There will also be a number of
| talks scheduled during the LCA2010 Open
| Day, which will introduce you to FOSS
| software. The event is free for all to
| attend.
`----

http://wellington.scoop.co.nz/?p=16727

Recent:

OLPC switching to ARM, plans paper thin netbook

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/OLPC-175-and-3/?kc=rss