[News] FSF Improves PayPal for Everyone's Benefit

  • Subject: [News] FSF Improves PayPal for Everyone's Benefit
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:00:29 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

FSF works with PayPal to the benefit of the free software community

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation thanks PayPal
| for responding to its concerns and making
| its terms more free software friendly.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/news/paypal

Bona fide open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Has open source become a victim of its own
| success as businesses identify as it just
| to look good?
|
| [...]
|
| The Free Software movement emerged from
| Richard Stallman's project to create a a
| UNIX-like free operating system in
| September 1983.
|
| 'Open Source' emerged much later, in 1998,
| after Linux and free software had begun to
| amass a substantial following among users
| and developers and had made significant
| inroads into the computer industry.
|
| Some saw 'open source' as a radical
| departure from the objectives of free
| software, but many saw it as a rebranding
| which made it easier to sell free software
| to a business audience, shorn of the
| political trimmings that gave the free
| software movment its edginess.
|
| The Open Source Definition took its
| substance from the Debian Free Software
| Guidelines.
|
| "Open source is a development methodology;
| free software is a social movement," wrote
| Stallman.
`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/618034/bona-fide-open-source

Recent:

PayPal Says Linux Grid Can Replace Mainframes

,----[ Quote ]
| PayPal is currently processing $1,571 worth of transactions per second in 17
| different currencies on about 4,000 servers running Red Hat Linux.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=204300034&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News

PayPal Plans to Ban Unsafe Browsers

,----[ Quote ]