[News] Government of Estonia Goes with Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Government of Estonia Goes with Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:04:06 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

EE: Internet monitoring system to publish tools as open source

,----[ Quote ]
| An Estonian government project to safeguard
| the country's Internet infrastructure will
| publish some of the tools it is developing as
| open source, using the European Union Public
| Licence (EUPL).
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/ee-internet-monitoring-system-to-publish-tools-as-open-source

Estonia to open source security tools

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Estonia-to-open-source-security-tools-866490.html

Related:

Estonian DDoS attacks "highly organised" but spontaneous

,----[ Quote ]
| Such a confederation was identified in the case of the Dark OwneD Mafia
| cracker network, 110760 five of whom were recently arrested in Spain. It
| might indeed explain why only one person has so far been prosecuted in
| connection with the Estonian attacks.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/108518/from/rss09

Estonia announces public procurement for additional ID-card development

,----[ Quote ]
| The development brings ID-card software to Mac OS and to the majority of the
| Linux distributions. For Linux EIC aims to get it into the installation
| packages.
`----

http://tekkie.flashbit.net/mac-os/estonia-announces-public-procurement-for-additional-id-card-development

Another Estonia Cyberattack

| The attack, which ended Tuesday, was minimally disruptive, according to
| Hillar Aarelaid, manager of Estonia's Computer Emergency Response Team
| (CERT). He described it as an "ordinary DDOS" (distributed denial of service)
| attack in which the news agency's servers were flooded with Internet traffic,
| in an attempt to crash them.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,141438-c,cybercrime/article.html#

Bush, Estonian president talk cyberattacks

,----[ Quote ]
| "When you are a highly Interneted [sic] country like we are, then these
| kinds of attacks can do very serious damage."
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9734382-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

EU should class cyber attacks as terrorism: Estonia

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.france24.com/france24Public/en/administration/afp-news.html?id=070607160418.pfpmeqvt&cat=science