[News] KDE to Use Branding to Market the Free Desktop

  • Subject: [News] KDE to Use Branding to Market the Free Desktop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 23:25:28 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Repositioning the KDE Brand

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE has changed over the past 13 years.
| The application framework has grown,
| matured and gone cross-platform, as have
| the applications. Strong growth in our
| community has created an increasingly
| diverse and large set of high-quality
| applications.
|
| In the process, KDE's identity has shifted
| from being simply a desktop environment to
| representing a global community that
| creates a remarkably rich body of free
| software targeted for use by people
| everywhere.
`----

http://www.kdenews.org/2009/11/24/repositioning-kde-brand

Why the rebranding?

,----[ Quote ]
| So now the Dot article is out with my name
| on it (thatâs just an accident really as I
| was the guy who first imported our draft
| text in to the Dot) It is supposed to
| provide a concise, readable, but far from
| comprehensive summary of the
| âRepositioning the KDE brandâ document
| that Cornelius put together after a lot of
| discussion.
`----

http://www.asinen.org/blog/2009/11/why-the-rebranding/

Finally: rebranding KDE

,----[ Quote ]
| Don't worry: most of it will sound
| familiar, we have changed our
| communication over the past year to fit
| the new branding. But some of it will be
| new. After years of discussing this and
| consulting the wider community (both by
| contacting key figures by personal mail
| and by discussing it on kde-devel, for
| example) it was time to move. We have made
| decisions (many of them at the recent
| marketing meeting), and yes, you could
| debate them. Please don't. Dark blue or
| light blue bikeshed, it does not matter.
`----

http://nowwhatthe.blogspot.com/2009/11/finally-rebranding-kde.html

How to Install KDE in Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| For over a decade, KDE has supplied Linux
| and Unix users with a graphical desktop
| environment and a suite of useful
| applications. It has become one of the
| most popular desktop environments and is
| the default on many Linux distributions.
| With the coming of KDE 4, developers
| promised native KDE applications running
| on Windows. While the current release is
| still not ready for production, as of KDE
| 4.3.3, it is coming closer and worth
| trying. What follows is a brief guide to
| getting KDE running on Windows.
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/install-kde-in-windows/2009/11/23

Yesterday