[News] Ubuntu 9.10 Tested on Flash, Still Behind Some Distros

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu 9.10 Tested on Flash, Still Behind Some Distros
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 23:37:07 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu 9.10 on SSD

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been thinking about replacing the
| hard disk on my production notebook with a
| solid-state disk (SSD) for quite a while.
| So when I stumbled upon a good offer on
| Kingston 64GB SSDNow V series SSD I
| decided to take the plunge. 64GB is a far
| cry from the modest by today's standards
| 160GB hard disk on my notebook. But since
| I store all my files on a Bubba Two
| server, I rarely use more than 15-20GB
| anyway. The Kingston 64GB SSDNow V series
| SSD model is available in several
| versions, including a so-called notebook
| kit. It's slightly more expensive than the
| disk itself, but it's well worth a few
| extra bucks. The notebook kit includes
| hard disk cloning software (which is,
| obviously, of no use on Linux) and a hard
| disk enclosure. The latter is a very handy
| addition, as you can use it to convert the
| replaced hard disk into an external USB
| drive. So I pulled the old hard disk out
| of the notebook, inserted it into the
| enclosure, and moved files and profiles to
| the freshly installed SSD. The entire
| procedure of installing the SSD and moving
| the files took no longer than half an
| hour.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Productivity-Sauce-Dmitri-s-open-source-blend-of-productive-computing/Ubuntu-9.10-on-SSD

Ubuntu: Time for Another Reality Check

,----[ Quote ]
| So by some measures and opinions, Ubuntu
| and Canonical do not represent the best of
| the free-software world.  But despite all
| this, Ubuntu has succeeded in an important
| area where every other distribution has
| failedâspecifically, in expanding the
| image of Linux and free software to
| unprecedented heights.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/11/24/ubuntu-time-for-another-reality-check/

Recent:

Which operating system is best for SSDs?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://features.techworld.com/storage/108317/which-operating-system-is-best-for-ssds/