[News] [Rival] Novell VP "Drools" Over Proprietary Software That Advances Windows

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Novell VP "Drools" Over Proprietary Software That Advances Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 00:38:02 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Miguel, Microsoft and the drool factor

,----[ Quote ]
| When he writes about Microsoft, it
| resembles the kind of writing that a kid
| does when he gets a shiny, new toy. De
| Icaza drools over technology announcements
| from the big M - and he ensures that
| people know he is in that state by signing
| off "droolingly yours."
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/29599/1090/

Can (and will) Microsoft keep Silverlight compatible across platforms?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=4648

No, teaches history:

A Comes Exhibit: "Undoc APIs document" - Update: And Another

The Future of Moonlight, II

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems like just yesterday that Miguel de | Icaza took such umbrage at being called a
| Microsoft apologist. Strange then, that he
| has now taken up the robes of a Microsoft
| evangelist, suggesting that it is at-long-
| last finally time to âstart a movement to
| create a suite of Silverlight-based desktop
| applicationsâ
|
| As I pointed out earlier, Mr. de Icaza has
| abandonded even the pretense of promoting
| an Open Source development platform and
| seems perfectly content to promote
| Microsoft Silverlight as the new desktop
| ârevolutionâ.
|
| [...]
|
| Letâs not dwell on the foolish and
| transparent attempt to deflect valid
| criticism as hate, but instead letâs look
| closer at his specific defense. Mr. de
| Icaza says he brought up  about
| MonoTorrent, a GTK#-based application, but
| he also says he wants Silverlight to
| replace GTK#, and that he simply wants to
| re-implement MonoTorrent in Silverlight.
|
| Thatâs a major problem with Mr. de Icaza.
| He doesnât just want to build on top of
| what exists, he wants to replace what
| exists; replace with closed-source,
| proprietary, non-standard technology!
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2009/11/the-future-of-moonlight-ii/

de Icaza drools

,----[ Quote ]
| So there you have it, folks. Mr. de Icaza
| speaks for Team Mono in direct support of
| the Microsoft Silverlight âRevolutionâ â
| encouraging development with Closed Source,
| Proprietary Software. People have been
| constantly raising flags that Novell / Mr.
| de Icaza / Team Mono have lost sight of
| Free Software as they grow ever closer to
| Microsoft, and this is a startlingly black
| mark proving warnings come true.
`----

http://mono-nono.com/2009/11/24/de-icaza-drools/

The Future of Moonlight

,----[ Quote ]
| Miguel de Icaza has spoken on The Future of
| Moonlight, and it is revealing.
|
|     We could use Silverlight to build the
|     next wave of cross-platform desktop
|     applications.
|
| Really? We can use closed-source
| Silverlight to build cross-platform desktop
| applications? Iâve often said that a
| significant side effect of all the Team
| Mono propaganda is promoting Microsoft, and
| statements like this are exactly what I
| mean.
|
| Here we have a clear endorsement for a
| closed-source, proprietary Microsoft
| technology with whom only Novell has any
| sort of âcovenantâ as the future for cross-
| platform development. In what FLOSS circles
| is that an acceptable proposal?
|
| [...]
|
| This also touches on the point I make that
| Team Mono / Moonlight is making no great
| strides for Linux. They spend a ton of
| effort on iPhone, Unity engine, and now PS3
| and Wii? You might recall a long-winded
| apologetic where the argument on how
| beneficial Mono would be to Linux was the
| major selling point. Somewhere along the
| line that whole argument got shifted to how
| beneficial Mono would be to .NET
| developers.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2009/11/the-future-of-moonlight/

Miguel de Icaza: "We could refresh the look and feel of the entire desktop with
Moonlight"

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://derstandard.at/?url=/?id=1216918402134