[News] KDE 4.4 in Feature Freeze, Reports Abundant

  • Subject: [News] KDE 4.4 in Feature Freeze, Reports Abundant
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 10:28:35 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

some krunner updates

,----[ Quote ]
| KRunner continues to grow into a really
| great tool to quickly get things done using
| words. It was intended to be something more
| flexible than the Run Command dialog in KDE3
| that also looked nicer. I think we've
| achieved both of those things, and KRunner
| blends sexily into the rest of the Plasma
| Desktop. It runs as its own process to allow
| some separation between the desktop and
| panels and the command dialog, which is also
| a bit different from KDE3 where it was part
| of the desktop itself.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/11/some-krunner-updates.html

An Update Of What Is To Come With KRunner In KDE SC 4.4

,----[ Quote ]
| With the next version of KDE SC to be
| released early next year, KRunner, one of
| KDE SCâs most powerful feature since v4.0,
| is getting some major updates. The hard
| feature freeze for KDE SC 4.4 is already
| done. So, in this article, we shall look at
| some changes that is being introduced to
| KRunner for KDE SC 4.4 and then some new
| plugins coming with it.
`----

http://digitizor.com/2009/11/27/an-update-of-what-is-to-come-with-krunner-in-kde-sc-4-4/

A reflection: How we made Amarok 2.2.1

,----[ Quote ]
| So, I'm writing this partly because of
| vanity (let's be honest here), partly
| because reflection helps managing past
| mistakes better in the future, and also
| because some of you (KDE community) have
| asked about our experiences with Git. With
| this out of the way, let's go in medias res:
|
| With Amarok 2.2.1 we have tried a new
| approach in release management, which meant
| a rather radical departure for us: The whole
| release cycle of 2.2.1 was pretty exactly 6
| weeks long. While six weeks can be a lot of
| time, or very little time, in our case it
| was very little time, as we had set a goal
| of achieving three things with this release:
| 1) Features 2) Bug Fixes 3) Doing it all
| without causing regressions. To give you an
| impression of what we have done in these 6
| weeks, check this out...
`----

http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/1142-A-reflection-How-we-made-Amarok-2.2.1.html

general audience vs advanced audience

,----[ Quote ]
| The example of Gwenview, Digikam and Krita
| is a great one, I think.
|
| With Gwenview, you get basic photo
| downloading from cameras and image
| manipulation. These "high end" (for
| Gwenview) features mostly comes from work
| laid down by the people working on the
| higher end photo management tools like
| (though not exclusively) Digikam. Sometimes
| feature improvements flow from the general
| audience app into the advanced tool app as
| well, but in my experience such improvements
| tend to be of the general audience pleasing
| type (as one might expect).
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/11/general-audience-vs-advanced-audience.html

KDE Gets a Ubuntu One Frontend (and How To Install It)

,----[ Quote ]
| Harald Sitter, one of the KDE developers,
| has announced that the KDE frontend for
| Ubuntu One is now available for a technical
| preview. The fact that it is a technical
| preview means that there is bound to be
| crashes, bugs etc. However, it is expected
| that it will be available for Kubuntu 10.04
| Lucid Lynx with dolphin integration.
`----

http://digitizor.com/2009/11/26/kde-gets-a-ubuntu-one-frontend-and-how-to-install-it/

Recent:

7 Things You Didnât Know You can Do With KRunner

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://digitizor.com/2009/09/21/7-things-you-didnt-know-you-can-do-with-krunner/