[News] Intellectual Monopolies Not Such a Functional Idea After All

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies Not Such a Functional Idea After All
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 13:49:11 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft's Struggle With i4i Sheds Light On Software Patent Process

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's recent trials and tribulations
| with its Word software patent illustrates
| the difficulty in granting -- and defending
| -- software patents. This fall, Microsoft
| was briefly barred from selling Word
| because of a dispute over XML code that i4i
| claimed infringed on one of the Toronto,
| Ontario-based company's patents. That trial
| is ongoing. While some observers questioned
| why Microsoft didn't resolve the dispute
| early on, others are interested to see how
| the dispute will play out and how patent
| rights will be determined.
|
| [...]
|
| The Bilski case could provide the Supreme
| Court with an opportunity to resolve the
| ongoing debate over the wisdom of having
| software patents in the first place. At
| issue is whether a "process" must be tied
| to a particular machine or apparatus or
| transform a particular condition into a
| different state to be considered as patent-
| eligible subject matter.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/221900795;jsessionid=3FXE4I5F0J3VZQE1GHOSKHWATMY32JVN

Microsoft patents viral gaming plans

,----[ Quote ]
| The concepts are all based around the
| current party system, with the most basic
| simply allowing invited friends to invite
| their own friends, whether they are known
| to the original party creator or not.
`----

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/microsoft-patents-viral-gaming-plans-article

Microsoft Patents In Game Hint System

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Patents-In-Game-Hint-System-128052.shtml
4
Microsoft Files User-Created Game Guide Patent

,----[ Quote ]
| The authoring features allow users to
| capture screenshots and video clips, and to
| use a digital pencil to mark them. It also
| may allow for audio commentary and tags,
| and developers can submit their own guides
| that will take precedence over user-created
| guides.
`----

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177065

Microsoft Patents Xbox 360 Hint System

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26215/Microsoft_Patents_Xbox_360_Hint_System.php

Recent:

i4i tells its side of the story: Microsoft ruined our business

Another Reason To Use ODF

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.goodbyemicrosoft.net/news.php?item.486.3