Re: GIMP not dropped from Ubuntu

____/ JEDIDIAH on Sunday 29 Nov 2009 17:19 : \____

> On 2009-11-29, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> ____/ chrisv on Saturday 28 Nov 2009 19:04 : \____

>> I did not.
>
> ...if I got it right, I believe that you posted it was to Microsoft's
> advantage and you mentioned that there was a guy from Micorsoft involved
> in the process. He was a product of employee churn.

He worked with the Visual Studio people for a long while (IIRC), so I assume he
still prefers .NET for some things. He wrote about F-Spot (Mono) as reason
to drop GIMP when the idea first came up in the Wiki.

> However, there was no "grand conspiracy theory" claimed.

"Conspiracy theory" is one of those terms used to describe ideas people dislike.

> There was also a nice graph that seemed to be trying to demonstrate the
> point that perpetuating mono would help Microsoft accumulate more control
> over programming interfaces including those used by Free Software and Linux.

Or take it from the source, Microsoft's own evangelism document (now leaked):

"Every line of code that is written to our standards is a small victory;
every line of code that is written to any other standard, is a small defeat."

  --James Plamondon, Microsoft Technical Evangelist. From
   Exhibit 3096; Comes v. Microsoft litigation

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Unix *is* user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
roy      pts/0        :0               Tue Nov 17 02:37   still logged in