[News] Openness Farce and Openness Success in New Tim Berners-Lee Initiative

  • Subject: [News] Openness Farce and Openness Success in New Tim Berners-Lee Initiative
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 09:26:44 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Outrageous. Incredible. International expert was spoken word only even within OS

,----[ Quote ]
| So hereâs what happens. You have a report.
| You happen to bump into an old mate. âHey,
| want to read my report?â you say. âSure,â
| they say. They read it. âSeems OK,â they
| say. You go back to your office and tell
| people âI met X who says itâs fine.â Even
| though the report is a thrown-together
| farrago of disconnected information about
| various national mapping agencies and their
| charging methods, combined with an
| unrelated chunk of poorly displayed data
| about national GDP versus national R&D
| expenditure, which cannot by any reasonable
| measure be claimed to justify anything
| about any charging model.
|
| This then becomes âThe document was also
| reviewed by an internationally recognised
| expert in Geographical Information and
| National Mapping who agreed with the
| analysis and conclusions.â
`----

http://www.freeourdata.org.uk/blog/2009/11/outrageous-incredible-international-expert-was-spoken-word-only-even-within-os/

Openness as the Foundation for Global Change

,----[ Quote ]
| In other words, openness lies at the heart
| of this work, and that's probably the most
| exciting thing for me about this whole
| venture, however modest its current scale:
| it is taking the ideas that lie behind open
| source and open standards, and applying
| them in real-life situations to make a real
| difference to people's lives, and that's
| hugely important. Let's hope that Tim
| Berners-Lee's latest project is ultimately
| as successful as his more famous one.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2664&blogid=14

Recent: