[News] Google Lists Supported Sub-notebooks for Chrome OS (Linux)

  • Subject: [News] Google Lists Supported Sub-notebooks for Chrome OS (Linux)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 10:28:36 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Google chart shows which netbooks run Chrome OS best

,----[ Quote ]
| The chart details which systems have been
| âofficiallyâ tested by developers and
| reveals what hardware works and what
| doesnât. Several models are listed, but
| Iâve simplified things a bit. Listed below
| are models on which everything works â
| 802.11 wireless, ethernet, touchpad, and
| suspend/resume.
`----

http://www.liliputing.com/2009/11/google-chart-shows-which-netbooks-run-chrome-os-best.html

Chrome OS Gains Open Source Home

http://rcpmag.com/blogs/doug-barney/2009/11/chrome-os-gains-open-source-home.aspx

Ubuntu, Google, and the Future of Linux. And rsync too.

,----[ Quote ]
| Chrome OS is a cloud-based application
| delivery platform, built for a very
| specific purpose, namely those little
| netbooks. Your data and the heart of the
| applications in Chrome OS live in Google's
| cloud. A lot of people will be very happy
| with that. There are, however, countless
| other applications that aren't suited to
| the cloud-based model. Applications that
| can only realistically live on the desktop
| (at least for the foreseeable future).
| Desktop Linux, and Ubuntu by extension,
| will continue to thrive there and to evolve
| into something even greater than what it is
| today. Chrome competes with Microsoft where
| Microsoft is, er, softest. The cloud.
`----

http://ubuntu-user.com/Online/Blogs/Marcel-Gagne-Orbiting-Planet-buntu/Ubuntu-Google-and-the-Future-of-Linux.-And-rsync-too

Make my OS Faster

,----[ Quote ]
| Google certainly has the clout to market
| this OS to the masses, and brand
| recognition that wonât make people run for
| the hills. Itâs still Linux, but people
| wonât know about it, and therefore wonât be
| scared of trying it. Could chrome be the
| first user friendly, mainstream Linux
| distro tailored towards non-geeks using
| legacy hardware?
|
| Itâs certainly interesting. Iâm anxiously
| awaiting the release of the OS to see if it
| will follow the same high quality design as
| most other Google products. Iâm also very
| curious as to how it will be received by
| mainstream, non-technical population.
`----

http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/2009/11/30/make-my-os-faster/

Recent:

Dell Releases Customized Version of Chrome OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell has just released a customized version
| of Chromium OS, the open source code behind
| Google's new operating system called
| Chrome, in a build designed specifically
| for Dell Mini computers. According to a
| blog post on the Dell Community site,
| several company employees were inspired
| create this custom version after seeing
| Engadget's video showing Chrome OS running
| on a Vostro A860 netbook.
`----

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/dell_releases_customized_version_of_chrome_os.php

Microsoft and Firefox engineering a Chrome web OS rival?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itvoir.com/portal/boxx/knowledgebase.asp?iid=1712&Cat=23