[News] Linux Phones from Motorola Look Good So Far

  • Subject: [News] Linux Phones from Motorola Look Good So Far
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 23:47:58 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Review: Motorola DROID from VzWireless

,----[ Quote ]
| The DROID is undeniably fastâboth at running
| apps and at using the Internetâbut speed isn't
| everything. Our DROID exhibited an unfortunate
| tendency to become unresponsive, distracted by
| who knows what for anywhere from 10 to 60
| seconds, several times a day. Every so often,
| some apps closed unexpectedlyânot just
| downloaded apps, but Navigation and Email. The
| DROID is a brand new phone, running a brand
| new OS version, so some growing pains are
| expected. However, we hope to see these kinks
| resolved quickly by Motorola/VzWireless
| updates.
|
| In the long run, we would like to see the
| DROID deliver stronger out-of-the-box business
| apps, including a more feature-rich Exchange
| mail client, standard file attachment readers,
| and an integrated personal/business calendar
| app.
|
| Combining such enhancements with the DROID's
| already-strong voice-driven apps and embedded
| navigation would make this phone a stronger
| enterprise contender. Until then, we don't see
| the DROID delivering a knock-out punch to the
| iPhone. We do, however, find the DROID worthy
| of serious consideration by anyone shopping
| for an "App Phone" this holiday season.
`----

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/reviews/article.php/3850261

Motorola chose Linux and abandons Windows because Linux is _good_, not because
Motorola is a Linux "fan".

Recent:

Droid by Motorola sales hit 250K

,----[ Quote ]
| Verizon Wireless sold 250,000 units of its
| Droid by Motorola phone, according to
| eWEEK, which has also given the Droid a
| rave review. Meanwhile, the rumor of a
| Google-branded Android phone refuses to
| die, Palm's CEO trash-talks the Droid, and
| tomorrow Google will unveil its Linux-based
| Chrome OS, say various reports.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Droid-by-Motorola-and-Google-Chrome-OS/?kc=rss

Verizon Droid's Sales Surge: Report

,----[ Quote ]
| Trends in app development are also starting
| to look more promising for Android-based
| devices in the Droid's wake. Flurry said
| it's seen a "sharp increase" in new
| applications being developed for the mobile
| OS -- an increase of 94 percent from
| September to October.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/mobility/article.php/3848856