[News] Sun-Oracle Acquisition Analysed, EU Hearing Near

  • Subject: [News] Sun-Oracle Acquisition Analysed, EU Hearing Near
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 10:57:29 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Oracle-Sun: Statements and observations

,----[ Quote ]
| We know they revolve around the open source
| MySQL database, the European Commission has said
| that much. But the Statement of Objections
| weighs in at 155 pages, and even those that have
| read it admit to being confused by it. Meanwhile
| some of the most vocal parties in the public
| debate have vested interests in encouraging
| opinions for or against the deal.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2009/11/30/oracle-sun-statements-and-observations/

What if Oracle's buyout of Sun falls through?

,----[ Quote ]
| With Oracle's proposed acquisition of Sun
| Microsystems stalled by European Union
| deliberations, industry dignitaries offered
| mixed perspectives recently on the ultimate fate
| of the deal and what it could mean for Sun
| technologies if the deal falls through.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2009/120109-what-if-oracles-buyout-of.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Recent:

Open-source culture at heart of Oracle deal

,----[ Quote ]
| But like most open-source companies, MySQLâs
| sales, tied to support deals, never matched
| the astronomical number of downloads for its
| product, about 60,000 a day. In January 2008,
| the founders decided to sell the company for
| $1 billion to Sun Microsystems. And this
| year, Sun agreed to sell itself to Oracle,
| which makes database software aimed at larger
| companies and tougher jobs, for $7.4 billion.
`----

http://www.mydigitalfc.com/companies/open-source-culture-heart-oracle-deal-702

Oracle begs EC for more time

,----[ Quote ]