[News] Rebuttal to FUD from Microsoft's NBC and Patent Lobbying Partner, GE

  • Subject: [News] Rebuttal to FUD from Microsoft's NBC and Patent Lobbying Partner, GE
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 11:09:18 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

GE European CIO calls open source risky, playground â really?

,----[ Quote ]
| I also wrote about GE as one of the big
| brands that is using open source.
|
| Second, we have seen a dramatic shift in the
| risk/benefit outlook on open source software
| in the enterprise. Driven largely by
| difficult economic conditions, tightened
| budgets and time and business pressures,
| customers who were previously unsure about
| open source software are now willing to live
| with that uncertainty and risk to give open
| source a chance. Our recent survey of open
| source software users and customers
| reinforces the idea that open source is now
| more positively associated with cost savings
| than it is negatively associated with risk.
| In response, open source seems to be largely
| passing the test, meeting or exceeding cost-
| savings expectations for nearly 90% of our
| more than 1,700 survey respondents.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2009/11/30/ge-european-cio-calls-open-source-risky-playground-really/

GE/Comcast NBC Universal Deal Said to Be Complete

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2009/12/01/gecomcast-nbc-universal-deal-said-to-be-complete

Recent:

More Evil from the Intellectual Monopolies Mob

,----[ Quote ]
| Basically, the IM mob are desperately trying to con
| unions into doing their dirty work by pushing out
| propaganda on intellectual monopolies. I just love
| the line "The RIAA (Recording Industry Association of
| America) and IIPA (International Intellectual
| Property Association) were both very enthusiastic
| about this proposal": you bet they are. Their own
| ham-fisted efforts have backfired so spectacularly
| that they are desperate for someone else not tainted
| by their inept approach of punishing consumers to
| try.
|
| The following is also significant:
|
|     The discussion on future work mostly focus on
|     climate change. General Electric and Microsoft
|     were particularly outspoken in highlighting their
|     fear that some current negotiations over green
|     technology and IPR would weaken IPR. They also
|     denounced the inclusion of proposals that limit
|     patentable subject matter and recommend
|     compulsory licenses or licenses of rights.
|
| As well as Microsoft's usual bleating about not being
| allowed to patent software in some jurisdictions,
| it's interesting to note that both it and General
| Electric seem to rate the preservation of
| intellectual monopolies rather higher than the
| preservation of our planet. Pure evil.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/09/more-evil-from-intellectual-monopolies.html

Patent trolls try to rip off high tech firms

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.biztimes.com/news/2009/5/29/patent-trolls-try-to-rip-off-high-tech-firms