[News] Abuse of Web Rights and Other Attacks Noted

  • Subject: [News] Abuse of Web Rights and Other Attacks Noted
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 19:04:35 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Liberty: disconnection is disproportionate and indiscriminate, bill âruns wholly
 counter to a human rights compliant approachâ

,----[ Quote ]
| Liberty are condemning the Digital Economy
| Billâs file sharing measures on human
| rights grounds, saying it âruns wholly
| counter to a human rights compliant
| approachâ. While, like ORG, they believe
| copyright should be respected, they point
| out that the measures proposed cannot be
| applied easily without innocent people
| being affected, and point out that
| disconnection is intrusive and
| disproportionate.
`----

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2009/liberty-disconnection-is-disproportionate-and-indiscriminate

In the thick of it: how the Digital Economy bill is trying to
kill open Wi-Fi networks

,----[ Quote ]
| A lot of people have talked to me over the
| last week about Wi-Fi (open and closed,
| i.e. password-protected) and the Digital
| Economy bill. The more I try to find
| answers, the more ludicrous it becomes. For
| instance, last week it turned out that a
| pub owner was allegedly fined Â8,000
| because someone downloaded copyright
| material over their open Wi-Fi system.
| Would that get worse or better if the
| Digital Economy bill passes in its present
| form?
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/nov/30/open-wi-fi-digital-economy-bill-government

Fund Raising

,----[ Quote ]
| So it seems I have a new beast to fight in
| the form of Virgin Media and Detica wanting
| to deploy Deep Packet Inspection for the
| purpose of spying on their customers for
| the Music Industry.
|
| This particular fight is going to make
| Phorm seem like a walk in the park, because
| this time we are fighting Peter Mandelsonâs
| Section 17 of the Digital Economy Bill
| which looks like it is going to possibly
| make legislative changes requiring this
| type of technology to fulfill Mandelsonâs 3
| Strikes mandate.  Furthermore, Virgin Media
| are about to launch a music service and it
| would be folly not to believe that
| Universal have told Virgin Media they need
| to tackle copyright infringement on their
| network in order to keep their license for
| their music service.
`----

https://nodpi.org/2009/12/02/fund-raising/

Fraud alert: Tens of thousands of anti-piracy settlements potentially illegal

,----[ Quote ]
| Having forced tens of thousands of P2P
| users to pay up for costly pre-settlement
| notices, a number of European law offices
| and and anti-piracy companies suddenly find
| themselves on the other side of the gun:
| The German scene news site gulli.com asked
| local authorities to start criminal
| investigations against a well-known anti-
| piracy law office, and even mainstream news
| organizations like the Financial Times are
| starting to take notice. The issue at heart
| could not only derail current anti-piracy
| campaigns, but potentially even lead to
| disbarment of the lawyers involved with
| these cases.
`----

http://www.p2p-blog.com/item-1216.html

Rogers Unveils The ISP Dream Model - In house video, caps and overage fees for using it...

,----[ Quote ]
| Canadian cable operator Rogers has
| constructed what's essentially the dream
| business model for broadband executives.
| They're launching a new broadband video
| portal that's only available if you sign up
| for Rogers wireless, TV or broadband
| service -- avoiding a stand-alone service
| in order to keep users from canceling
| regular cable. Rogers has also imposed low
| caps and high overages and the new service
| counts against your monthly cap -- meaning
| Rogers is keeping content revenue in house
| while socking customers with per-gigabyte
| overages -- up to $5.00 per gigabyte -- for
| actually using an advertised service.
`----

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/105726

Recent:

Dear Mandy: complaining to Peter Mandelson through the power of song

,----[ Quote ]
| What's a good way to get politicians to
| listen to your point of view? Writing
| letters? Signing petitions? Inviting them
| over for dinner in your holiday villa in
| Greece?
|
| Or, if none of that works - for example, if
| you don't have a villa in Greece - you
| could try singing a song at them.
|
| That's the approach Dan Bull has taken,
| with a musical letter to Lord Mandelson
| politely suggesting that he might like to
| reconsider his proposals to cut off the
| internet of households if they are accused
| of filesharing.
`----

http://theridiculant.metro.co.uk/2009/11/dear-mandy-complaining-to-peter-mandelson-through-the-power-of-song.html

Day 22: Film studios issue ultimatum to ISPs

,----[ Quote ]
| Internet service providers that shirked
| responsibilities to prevent copyright
| infringement on their networks should
| consider exiting the business, the Federal
| Court heard today.
|
| As the copyright case between the film
| industry and ISP iiNet approached its
| conclusion, the studio's barrister Tony
| Bannon SC suggested ISPs that did not want
| to deal with infringement notices should
| "get out of the business."
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/161447,day-22-film-studios-issue-ultimatum-to-isps.aspx

Pub 'fined Â8k' for Wi-Fi copyright infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| A pub owner has been fined Â8,000 because
| someone unlawfully downloaded copyrighted
| material over their open Wi-Fi hotspot,
| according to the managing director of
| hotspot provider The Cloud.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39909136,00.htm

What the Queen didn't say

,----[ Quote ]
| The Queen's speech was notable not so much
| for the new announcements in it, but for
| the things it didn't include. Her Majesty
| did not say that her government would
| disconnect it's citizen's internet
| connections, or introduce a Â50,000 fine
| for infringing the copyright of a file that
| cost Â0.00 to reproduce, or that it would
| give harsher penalties for downloading a
| file for free than for buying the exact
| same information on a counterfeit disc.
|
| But don't be fooled. This isn't a sudden
| outbreak of common sense, all those ill-
| considered provisions are still there, but
| for some reason the government forgot to
| tell the public about them in the Queen's
| speech.
`----

http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/blog/2009/nov/18/what-queen-didnt-say/

Protests grow over digital bill