[News] From Russia with Love... Windows-only "App"

  • Subject: [News] From Russia with Love... Windows-only "App"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 19:09:28 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Russian ransomware blocks net access

,----[ Quote ]
| Miscreants have developed a ransomware
| package that blocks internet access in a
| bid to force infected users into paying up
| by sending a text message to a premium rate
| SMS number, lining the pocket of
| cybercrooks in the process.
|
| [...]
|
| The ploy is a variant on previous
| ransomware packages that encrypt and block
| access to document files. One strain of
| ransomware detected in January 2008 locks
| up Windows machines, seeking payment via
| SMS. That threat wasn't specific to Russia
| and didn't affect a net connection as such
| but is otherwise very similar to the latest
| attack.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/01/ransomware_turns_off_net_access/

Cameroon leapfrogs Hong Kong in malware hosting blocklist

,----[ Quote ]
| Cameroon (.cm) web domains supplanted those
| in Hong Kong as most likely to harbour
| malware, with more than one in three (36.7
| per cent) of domains registered in the West
| African country hosting viruses or
| malicious code.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/02/mal_hosting_survey/

Cameroon revealed as web threat hotspot

"I am convinced we have to use Windows â this is the one thing they donât have.
We have to be competitive with features, but we need something more â Windows
integration."
                --Jim Allchin, Microsoft

Recent:

12 Most Devastating PC Viruses and Worms of All Time

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/07/12-most-devastating-pc-viruses-and.html