[News] Sub-notebooks Competition Has ARM, Google, Dell, Intel Fiercely Involved in GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Sub-notebooks Competition Has ARM, Google, Dell, Intel Fiercely Involved in GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 11:02:45 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

ARM COO wants netbooks to be more than just cheap notebooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Right now, however, ARM netbooks are really
| only able to run Linux distros tailored to
| their non-x86 processors. On top of that,
| there arenât many to choose from at the
| moment.
|
| After attending the Ubuntu Developer
| Summit, Shane Fagan lamented âWhereâs my
| ARM netbook?â noting that only three models
| were available (four if you count a board-
| only unit). With Intelâs Atom able to run
| Windows and just about every interesting
| Linux distro under the sun like Moblin and
| Jolicloud, ARM has their work cut out.
`----

http://www.liliputing.com/2009/12/arm-coo-wants-netbooks-to-be-more-than-just-cheap-notebooks.html

Dell releases unofficial Chrome OS Linux desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| But as Anson points out, "This image comes
| with absolutely no support of any kind and
| is to be considered highly experimental and
| completely unstable [but] with a network
| connection, ChromiumOS shines. The Chromium
| browser is extremely fast and makes for a
| great web-centric browsing experience. Boot
| time appears quick too â about 12 seconds
| from hitting the power button." Sounds like
| good Linux techie fun to me!
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15174/dell_releases_unofficial_chrome_os_linux_desktop

Intel launches beta SDK for Intel Atom Developer Program

,----[ Quote ]
| Just to put my cards on the table, I think
| the Intel Atom Developer Program makes
| about as much sense as a netbook with a 17
| inch screen. The whole point of netbooks is
| that theyâre fully functional computers,
| unlike smartphones and other mobile devices
| that offer only a limited feature set. And
| that means that you can run virtually any
| program on a Windows or Linux netbook that
| you could run on a larger, more traditional
| computer.
`----

http://www.liliputing.com/2009/12/intel-launches-beta-sdk-for-intel-atom-developer-program.html

Acer's crippled GNU/Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| A free software supporter alerted us to a
| crippled version of GNU/Linux shipping on
| some of Acer's netbooks.
|
| A few weeks ago, a free software supporter
| encountered an Acer netbook that came pre-
| loaded with a distribution of GNU/Linux.
| GNU/Linux has made real headway in the
| netbook market, so nothing unusual here,
| and you would think any free software
| supporter would be delighted to encounter
| GNU/Linux pre-installed on a mass market
| product.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/acer-bad-distro

Recent: