[News] Flexibility Highlighted as Key Advantage of Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Flexibility Highlighted as Key Advantage of Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 11:39:12 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Source enables customized applications

,----[ Quote ]
| We adopted open source mainly because we
| can build an application suiting our needs.
| Moreover, if we are locked in a proprietary
| set up, we will be forced to do frequent
| updates. Often we have found that most of
| updates do not give the level of business
| benefits that we look for. To put it
| simply, we do not want to be forced to do
| an upgrade just because a new version is
| available.
`----

http://www.ciol.com/Developer/Open-Source/News-Reports/Open-Source-enables-customized-applications/11209128435/0/

Scammers get better tools for tapping social networks

,----[ Quote ]
| Paterva describes Maltego as an open source
| intelligence and forensics application that
| can import and correlate data from almost
| any publicly available online source,
| including social networks, search engines
| and PGP key databases. A community edition
| of the tool also can be downloaded.
|
| The application can be used to determine
| relationships and real-world connections
| between people, groups of people such as
| those in a social network, companies and
| Web sites. It can also be used to find
| links between domains, DNS names, IP
| addresses and even documents and files on
| the Internet.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9141601/Scammers_get_better_tools_for_tapping_social_networks

Related:

The strength of Linux is in it's flexibility

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/the-strength-of-linux-is-in-its-flexibility-25956