[News] Company of Former Microsofter Offers Support for Red Hat Clone

  • Subject: [News] Company of Former Microsofter Offers Support for Red Hat Clone
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 11:52:54 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Why Red Hat doesn't see CentOS as a Linux rival

,----[ Quote ]
| I wrote a story yesterday about CentOS (the
| Red Hat Enterprise Linux clone) getting
| commercial support from OpenLogic. One
| thing that isn't in the posted story, that
| I've always been curious about, is why Red
| Hat itself doesn't go after CentOS users in
| an effort to convert them to paid Red Hat
| support.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/12/why-red-hat-doesnt-see-centos.html

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Clone CentOS Gets Commercial Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Free, community-driven versions of Linux
| don't often benefit from commercial
| enterprise support efforts.
|
| For CentOS, that's now about to change. The
| clone of Red Hat (NYSE: RHT) Enterprise
| Linux is now being commercially supported
| by services vendor OpenLogic.
|
| [...]
|
| It's unclear how Red Hat will respond to
| the new offering. A Red Hat spokesperson
| was not immediately available for comment.
| The company told InternetNews.com in 2007
| that it viewed CentOS positively for
| encouraging participation in Red Hat
| Enterprise Linux's development community
| and for broadening the distro's user base.
|
| But now, OpenLogic admits that its addition
| of commercial support is likely to have
| some negative impact for Red Hat.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/features/article.php/3850541/

CentOS gains enterprise support

OpenLogic Now Supporting CentOS

http://www.openlogic.com/blogs/2009/12/openlogic-now-supporting-centos/

Recent:

OpenLogic Expands Support Offerings for Linux by Announcing SLA Support for CentOS

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/2690750/