[News] ARM Uses GNU/Linux to Make Sub-$200 Sub-notebooks

  • Subject: [News] ARM Uses GNU/Linux to Make Sub-$200 Sub-notebooks
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 00:59:02 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Wistron N900z Smartbook: sub-$200 ARM netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| Wistronâs most endearing Smartbook machine
| may be the compact VAIO P-lookalike that has
| been floating around tradeshows for a few
| months now, but itâs not their only offering
| with ARM under the hood.  Freescale
| Semiconductors are showing the Wistron N900z
| at their Computex 2009 stand, a more
| traditionally designed 10-inch netbook, and
| LaptopMag shot some hands-on video.
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/wistron-n900z-smartbook-sub-200-arm-netbook-0345776/

Acer: We'll have the first Chrome OS Netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| The world's second-largest PC maker has
| designs on being the first to offer a Chrome
| OS Netbook.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10408031-93.html

Recent:

Will the 'smartbook' be a better Netbook?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Lenovo device uses a Snapdragon chip,
| which is the first smartphone processor from
| Qualcomm to hit a speed of 1GHz. Whether it
| will use Google's Android operating system
| or another Linux variant is unknown. And
| pricing has not been revealed, though
| smartbooks are expected to be inexpensive up
| front when bought on 2-year contract plans.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10400275-64.html

Processors from ARM are going beyond mobile devices

,----[ Quote ]
| After comfortably residing for years in mobile
| devices like cellphones, chips based on the Arm
| design are finding their way into commercial laptops.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/tech/E3A1EF04FEDA3AC6CC257649007EBE79

ARM/Linux netbooks attract carrier support

,----[ Quote ]