[News] More Censorship in the News, Failures to Adapt

  • Subject: [News] More Censorship in the News, Failures to Adapt
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 18:24:15 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Web limit on police 'naming and shaming' of criminals

,----[ Quote ]
| Police forces that "name and shame"
| criminals must remove the details from
| websites after a month, new rules say.
|
| Criminals' details such as name, age, where
| they are from and their offence, should be
| published routinely on police websites, the
| Ministry of Justice said.
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8392012.stm

Newspapers Arenât Aged News â Theyâre TiVoed News, The iPods Of News!

,----[ Quote ]
| Like many, I got a laugh out of the Daily
| Show piece earlier this year poking fun at
| the New York Times for selling âaged news.â
| But a talk I heard by Kevin Marks this
| summer made me realize that newspapers
| donât push aged news. They push TiVoed
| news, or recorded news or stored news. Call
| it what you want, thinking of newspapers as
| efficient storage devices, rather than
| being out-of-date, might increase their
| respect these days and potentially, their
| value.
`----

http://daggle.com/newspapers-aged-news-tivoed-news-1527

Anti-Piracy Group To DRM Breaker: OK To Break The Law

,----[ Quote ]
| A consumer who reported himself to an anti-
| piracy group to try to force a change in
| copyright law has finally received a
| response. Denmarkâs Antipiratgruppen
| acknowledges that the man broke the law
| when he circumvented DRM, but have told him
| that since it was for personal use with no
| further distribution, there is no desire to
| sue him.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/o-break-the-law-091203/

Recent:

Newspaper epitaph: âWho else is doing it?â

,----[ Quote ]
| But innovation is a dirty word at
| newspapers. When confronted with a
| potentially game-changing idea, the first
| question publishers always ask is, âWho
| else is doing it?â  That phrase could well
| stand as the industryâs epitaph.
`----

http://newsosaur.blogspot.com/2009/11/newspaper-epitaph-who-else-is-doing-it.html

A Look At All The Sites Owned By Rupert Murdoch That 'Steal' Content

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091111/0049546883.shtml