[News] GNU/Linux Servers Chosen for Indian Bank

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Servers Chosen for Indian Bank
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 12:12:25 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Core Banking Deploying in a Co-op Bank

,----[ Quote ]
| After a careful evaluation, we decided to
| sign an MoU with a Linux based CBS solution
| from VSoft Technologies, Bangalore. We are
| paying for support services and updates to
| Vsoft. The vendor chose RedHat Linux
| enterprise edition as he wanted to spend more
| time in makng the application stable rather
| than experiment with multiple Linux distros.
| A major change for the users was the
| difference in interface between  DOS and
| Linux. Right from the change in hardware to
| acceptance of application by users, we faced
| lot of challenges. Thankfully, most issues
| have been resolved. We selected Open Office
| as the document management application. After
| a brief training, our staff transited from
| the DOS based applications to GUI based ones
| in a very short time.
`----

http://pcquest.ciol.com/content/enterprise/2009/109120501.asp

5 Linux-based Cloud Businesses

,----[ Quote ]
| Amazon Web Services (AWS) uses it.
| Elastichosts uses it. Google uses it. Yahoo
| uses it. Engine Yard uses it. Facebook uses
| it. "It" is Linux, of course. But what else
| do all these companies have in common? If you
| said "cloud technology," you're correct.
`----

http://www.daniweb.com/news/story243967.html

Recent:

Saving a Billion Using Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| A leading bank in India saved Rs 100 crore by moving from MS Office to Open
| Office. It is simple mathematicsâif MS Office costs Rs 11,000 per user, and
| the organization has 1,00,000 desktops, the company would save a cool Rs 110
| crore on licensing costs if it moved to Open Office. Even if we budget Rs 10
| crore for training and support costs, the company would end up saving Rs 100
| crore.
`----

http://networkcomputing.in/Saving-a-Billion-Using-Open-Source-Open-Mind-001Sept009.aspx

Related: