[News] GNU Asserts Power and Licensing Rights

  • Subject: [News] GNU Asserts Power and Licensing Rights
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 13:06:34 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Building OpenOffice.org with GNU make

,----[ Quote ]
| The current implementation currently
| supports one platform: Linux 64-Bit.
| Adding support for other Unix platforms
| should be rather trivial, while Windows
| will need some special care.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/building_openoffice_org_with_gnu

Lawsuit alleges Palm Pre violates copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| Artifex Software said it is suing Palm
| over the PDF (Portable Document Format)
| viewer in Palm's Pre smartphone.
|
| Artifex alleges that Palm copied Artifex's
| PDF rendering engine, called muPDF, and
| integrated it into the Palm Pre's PDF
| viewer application without the proper
| licensing conditions.
|
| Artifex requires that an entire
| application must be licensed under the GNU
| General Public License (GPL) if muPDF is
| part of the application. If the software
| is not licensed under the GNU GPL, then
| Artifex requires a commercial license in
| order to use muPDF, according to the
| company's licensing terms.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9141798/Lawsuit_alleges_Palm_Pre_violates_copyright?source=rss_security

Open source software license enforcement actions on the rise

,----[ Quote ]
| In late 2007 and early 2008, the SFLC
| filed and settled a series of lawsuits on
| behalf of the principal developers of
| BusyBox software (BB Software). These
| cases are notable for being the first
| litigation involving enforcement of the
| General Public License (GPL). BB Software
| is licensed under the GPLv2, which
| requires that redistributors provide end
| users with access to the BB Software
| source code. Plaintiffs in these actions
| accused the defendants of failing to do
| so. Each defendant settled for an
| undisclosed amount of money and also
| agreed to comply with the GPL, undertake
| âsubstantialâ efforts to notify previous
| recipients of defendantsâ products of
| their violation of the GPL and appoint an
| âOpen Source Compliance Officerâ within
| their organizations to monitor and ensure
| GPL compliance. The FSF filed a similar
| lawsuit against Cisco Systems, Inc. in
| December 2008, which settled on May 20,
| 2009 on similar terms.
`----

http://localtechwire.com/business/local_tech_wire/news/blogpost/6550422/

Faker:

Ask the Wi-Fi Guru, Episode XXII

,----[ Quote ]
| A: The KWGR614 is an interesting case, and
| worth talking about here in case other
| readers run across it. Although this
| product is now discontinued, models may
| still be available through discount and
| overstock merchants. Netgear marketed the
| KWGR614 as an "open source" router. It
| would seem logical to conclude, then, that
| it could run open source firmware like DD-
| WRT or Tomato.
|
| But no. The KWGR614 is open source in the
| sense that Netgear provided the source
| code to the router, allowing developers
| the opportunity to customize it much like
| Linksys' original source code for the
| WRT54G has evolved into DD-WRT and Tomato,
| among others. But this hasn't really
| happened and, furthermore, the KWGR614
| uses a Realtek-based chipset which is not
| supported by DD-WRT or Tomato. In other
| words, these popular open source firmwares
| will not run on the open source KWGR614.
| In principle, somebody might be able to
| modify these firmwares to work on this
| router. But to my knowledge, nobody has.
| It sounds like the vendor may have been
| misinformed in this case.
`----

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3851186

Related:

Autodesk geography tool goes open source

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9784878-39.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20