[News] [Rival] Apple Harms Own Potential Partners

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Apple Harms Own Potential Partners
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 13:50:37 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Apple trying to rip out our core: Macpro boss

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple attempted to register the "Macpro" and
| "Mac Pro" trademarks for computers in May
| 2006, which McRae swiftly opposed as he would
| have had to give up his company's name if
| Apple was successful.
|
| IP Australia, which handles disputes related
| to trademarks and patents in Australia, found
| in McRae's favour but Apple has appealed
| against the decision to the Federal Court.
| The trial is set to run over three days in
| June next year.
`----

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/biz-tech/apple-trying-to-rip-out-our-core-macpro-boss-20091203-k7nr.html

Apple issues security updates for Mac OS X

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2009/12/security_updates_for_mac_os_x.html

Recent:

Apple patents anti-user attention-complianceware

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple's filed a patent on a design for a
| device that won't let its owner use it
| unless that person demonstrates that she
| has complied with an advertiser's demands
| by paying attention to an ad and taking
| some action indicating her dutiful
| attention.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/11/15/apple-patents-anti-u.html

Apple seeks OS-jacking advert patent

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple has filed a patent application for an
| intrusive ad-presentation system that
| requires users to acknowledge adverts
| before getting on with their work.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/16/intrusive_apple_ad_patent/

Apple Tries To Patent Annoying People With Intrusive Advertising That Requires Attention

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091114/1835226933.shtml

Apple Wouldnât Risk Its Cool Over a Gimmick, Would It?

,----[ Quote ]
| Its distinctive feature is a design that
| doesnât simply invite a user to pay
| attention to an ad â it also compels
| attention. The technology can freeze the
| device until the user clicks a button or
| answers a test question to demonstrate that
| he or she has dutifully noticed the
| commercial message. Because this technology
| would be embedded in the innermost core of
| the device, the ads could appear on the
| screen at any time, no matter what one is
| doing.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/15/business/15digi.html?_r=1

W3C sidesteps Apple over widget-patent