[News] Well Tuned Red Hat GNU/Linux Servers, Fedora 12 Controversy Revisited

  • Subject: [News] Well Tuned Red Hat GNU/Linux Servers, Fedora 12 Controversy Revisited
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 00:00:03 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Red Hat Enterprise Linux tuning tips help boost performance

,----[ Quote ]
| Shakshober and Larry Woodman, a Red Hat
| consulting engineer, lead four-day
| performance tuning courses for advanced users
| throughout the year and offer a briefer
| version for intermediate users annually at
| the Red Hat Summit.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid39_gci1375966,00.html

Fedora 12 and unprivileged package installation

,----[ Quote ]
| Since the release, and all of the publicity
| and complaints, the maintainers of PackageKit
| have decided to remove the feature. Out of
| this controversy, though, are lessons for any
| project regarding security, transparency, and
| system defaults. There were no real
| complaints about the existence of the
| feature, rather it was the choice to make it
| the default, coupled with a lack of any
| notice of the change, that led to the outcry.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/362771/

In recent days:

The Value of Red Hatâs Subscription Model and Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently, a number of vendors have come forth
| stating support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
| and forked distributions offered by others in
| the industry. At Red Hat, we know that truly
| supporting Red Hat Enterprise Linux is not
| only about support services, but also about
| the value of the entire Red Hat subscription.

Red Hat's CEO on Obama jobs summit â 'Creating jobs the open source way'

,----[ Quote ]
| That said, as the leader of Red Hat, I think
| I bring a different perspective. As indicated
| in our recent filings, Red Hat has grown â
| both revenue and people â and has done so at
| a double digit pace in the worst recession of
| modern times. And so, while it is important
| to restart job growth in stagnant areas of
| the economy, I think it is just as important
| to look to approaches that are working to
| inform our countryâs broader economic
| efforts.
`----

http://localtechwire.com/business/local_tech_wire/news/blogpost/6552345/