[News] FUD About Free Software Meritocracy Addressed

  • Subject: [News] FUD About Free Software Meritocracy Addressed
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 00:20:03 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The best helmsmen stand on shore

,----[ Quote ]
| Bruce Byfield is completely unaware of this
| too. In his latest misguided rambling 'Open
| Source Projects and the Meritocracy Myth'
| he lists a number of major projects with
| paid developers. As if meritocracy is and
| should only be applied there.
|
| First, he obviously doesn't understand the
| full concept of meritocracy. Meritocracy in
| FOSS is about merits, not just "who is the
| best". If a paid developer can spend eight
| straight hours per day and provides most of
| the code he will obviously rise in the
| ranks, a fact that is clearly supported by
| the findings of the FLOSS polls, that
| infamous report that everybody likes to
| quote and nobody obviously read.
| Furthermore, in our capitalist world those
| who pay call the shots. The privilege that
| the community has is that if it doesn't
| like it, it can fork. Something that Eben
| Moglen recently confirmed.
|
| [...]
|
| Meritocracy is not the guiding principle of
| the FOSS ideology. It simply works best for
| these thousands of unpaid volunteers you're
| so eager to insult and attack on each and
| every opportunity you get. Proof? Here you
| got it. Source? FLOSS polls!
`----

http://thebeezspeaks.blogspot.com/2009/12/best-helmsmen-stand-on-shore.html

Episode 128: Beam it up, F-SPOT!

,----[ Quote ]
| You can participate in episode planning in
| the Wave. It is open for everybody.
`----

http://meetthegimp.org/episode-128-beam-it-up-f-spot/

Related:

Could Open Source Lead to a Meritocratic Search Engine?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/14/1355252&from=rss