[News] "Simple Scan" in Next Ununtu GNU/Linux, Virus Scan for Windows Only

  • Subject: [News] "Simple Scan" in Next Ununtu GNU/Linux, Virus Scan for Windows Only
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 20:59:01 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu 10.04 Will Have "Simple Scan"

,----[ Quote ]
| Robert Ancell is working on making scanning
| on Ubuntu "just work". Currently scanning
| is performed using the default installed
| Xsane. Xsane has many options, has a style
| that does not integrate into the current
| Ubuntu desktop and does not allow scanning
| from within applications. In Karmic it was
| proposed to peplaced Xsane with the
| application Gnome-Scan, but Gnome-Scan was
| not found to be stable enough.
`----

http://anotherubuntu.blogspot.com/2009/12/ubuntu-1004-will-have-simple-scan.html

Best 4 Antivirus Software for Your Ubuntu OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Reasons include:
|
|     * You have a dual-boot computer
|     (Windows/Ubuntu) and you want to scan
|     Windows drives,
|     * You have Windows computers on your
|     network, which you want to scan,
|     * You are operating an e-mail gateway
|     with Linux and want to check
|     incoming/outgoing e-mails,
|     * You want to scan Windows
|     drives/shares etc.,
|     * You are exchanging files with Windows
|     users and you donât want to pass on
|     potentially infected files,
|     * You are sending/forwarding e-mails to
|     Windows users and you donât want them
|     to get infected with the attachments.
`----

http://crenk.com/best-4-antivirus-software-for-your-ubuntu-os/

Things I like in Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Though I havenât used (and wonât use)
| Ubuntu, it has a few things I appreciate
| (as far as I know them):
|
| Ubuntu One: I wish we could have something
| similar for Debian users (ideally, it
| should be extended so that we could sync
| our calendars, contacts, liferea data
| etc.).
`----

http://www.kirya.net/weblog/2009/12/06/things-i-like-in-ubuntu/

Linux: I'm Lovin' Ubuntu 9.10!

,----[ Quote ]
| Anyway, this is the happiest I've been with
| Linux in a long time :)
`----

http://jjinux.blogspot.com/2009/12/linux-im-lovin-ubuntu-910.html

Trouble Free Karmic Koala

,----[ Quote ]
| The last time I blogged about Ubuntu
| Desktop, either I didn't explain the
| problems I was having sufficiently, or
| people just don't get it and react.  I try
| to make what I write clear enough for those
| new to Linux, but that may make it seem
| like I'm not very experienced with Linux,
| even though I have been actively abusing it
| since 1995.  I have decided to just keep on
| writing and let the chips fall where they
| may.
|
| [...]
|
| Not being an LTS version of Ubuntu, this
| version has worked very well.
`----

http://www.cookingwithlinux.com/content/trouble-free-karmic-koala

Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter #171

,----[ Quote ]
| In this issue we cover:
|
| * Renewed call for nominees - IRC Council
| * 2009 Ubuntu Server Edition user survey
| * UDS Lucid - Kernel Summary
| * An interview with Daniel Holbach
`----

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/1947

Recent:

- From Ubuntuâ to Gentoo..? No, to Debian!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blog.zlowram.co.cc/?p=89