[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux 9.10 "Earned My Respect"

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux 9.10 "Earned My Respect"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 13:56:23 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu 9.10: Karmic Koala

,----[ Quote ]
| Right off the bat, Ubuntu earned my respect.
| Installing the entire OS, after deleting and
| creating new partitions, on my less-than-
| average HP dv5z took less than 20 minutes.
| (Side note- the HP dv5z disappoints me greatly.
| I do not recommend this slow, unstable, and
| easily-overheating laptop to anyone. I hope the
| new laptops in this series fare better than
| this.) I thought it would take a painful hour
| or more, so finishing the installation in this
| amount of time pleased me. After downloading
| all the necessary updates for the system, which
| went by pretty quickly, I restarted my computer
| (Ubuntu booted up in about 20 seconds), took a
| deep breath, and dove in.
`----

http://skattertech.com/2009/12/ubuntu-9-10-karmic-koala/

X.Org 7.5 Gets Pulled Into Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

,----[ Quote ]
| Just in time for the Alpha 1 release of Ubuntu
| 10.04, X.Org 7.5 with X Server 1.7 has been
| pulled into the Lucid Lynx package repository.
| With this push of new X.Org 7.5 packages comes
| a number of other upstream X package updates
| along with rebuilds of the other non-updated
| drivers so that they will work against this
| latest stable X Server.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzc3OA

Recent:

Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala. The best Ubuntu till now. Period.

,----[ Quote ]
| Next Ubuntu version 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" will
| be a Long Term Support(LTS) version and
| will receive 5 years of support for servers
| and 3 years for all other editions. Since
| it will be an LTS version, the primary goal
| will be maximum stability, which will make
| it a good choice for OEMs to include in
| their products. The artwork design will
| once again improve, as well as the
| usability with another launch of the "100
| papercuts" project. Currently, no radical
| new features have been announced and there
| probably won't be any, since ext4 is
| already the default file system and the
| next generation BTRFS is still under heavy
| development. Gnome 3.0 with the totally
| redisigned Gnome-shell won't make it for
| the same reason(not mature enough for an
| LTS version) but it will be available in
| the repositories.
| In the netbook field, Ubuntu Moblin remix
| will be released as well as the awesome (I
| have used awesome too many times, haven't
| I? But it's worth it ) looking Kubuntu
| Netbook Remix, which will be the best
| looking netbook OS by a long shot.
`----

http://yatsite.blogspot.com/2009/11/ubuntu-910-karmic-koala-best-ubuntu.html

Windows 7 vs Ubuntu 9.10

,----[ Quote ]
| I was musing to my coworkers that if it had
| the following, I could switch from Linux:
|
| 1) A decent software packaging system.
| 2) Built-in Virtual Desktops.
| 3) Middle-button paste.
`----

http://dannyman.toldme.com/2009/12/02/windows-7-ubuntu-first-impression/

Windows 7 vs Ubuntu 9.10

,----[ Quote ]
| I love Windows 7 but I canât give up by favorite
| Linux OS either. So, I finally decided to do a
| Performance Benchmark Showdown to decide who
| gets to rule on my PC. Probably, everyone knows
| whatâs new in both of them.
|
| [...]
|
| All said and done, if you need performance,
| Ubuntu is for you. If you are looking onGaming,
| you have no other choice than Windows. If you
| are looking at Features again Windows 7 is the
| one for you.
`----

http://www.taranfx.com/blog/windows-7-vs-ubuntu

Recent:  Windows 7 meets Ubuntu 9.10

,----[ Quote ]
| In Ubuntu's case one of its assets is the
| work done to support netbook PCs. Ubuntu's
| Netbook Remix interface is a very slick
| alternative for the smaller screen space
| common on netbooks.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Software/9972.html

Windows 7 An Improvement, But Is Mac OS X Still Better?

,----[ Quote ]
| I feel that Mac OS X or Ubuntu are both
| better systems.
`----

http://www.nillabyte.com/blog.php?b=271

Feature-By-Feature: Ubuntu 9.10 Vs. Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop
| Karmic Koala's desktop should be familiar
| to Windows users. Right-click menu
| shortcuts and  personalizing the desktop
| features are similar to Windows 7. The
| desktop still isn't as "glitzy" as Windows
| 7, but users can get the eye candy of
| Windows 7 with a fast graphics card and can
| choose the "Extra" settings in Ubuntu
| 9.10's "Appearance Preferences."
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/220600383;jsessionid=DGQV5GNOJLAARQE1GHOSKH4ATMY32JVN

Ubuntu Karmic Koala- A perfect alternative to Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2009/10/ubuntu-karmic-koala-perfect-alternative.html