[News] GNU/Linux Advocated for NHS IT Recovery, UK Government

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Advocated for NHS IT Recovery, UK Government
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 01:11:59 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

NHS spend on IT - How would you make savings?

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's another thought. If you were to put a
| Linux-based operating system on the 800,000
| or so workstations now in the NHS and some
| FOSS productivity software such as
| OpenOffice, which incidentally will interface
| with more professional database server
| systems than many proprietary packages, how
| much would that cost (other than the man-
| hours for the installs)? Zilch. Zippo. FA.
| What if the NHS were to donate 1 GBP for each
| machine to the Linux distribution developers
| of their chosen O/S, and 1 GBP towards each
| OpenOffice installation? That would cost
| Â1,600,000 or less than a third of one
| percent of the existing discounted Microsoft
| licensing. That relatively small donation
| would also ensure some future development of
| features needed by NHS staff in their chosen
| software.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10014580o-2000673651b,00.htm

Linux Private Cloud best for Cabinet Office?

,----[ Quote ]
| I understand the the Linux Ubuntu Cloud is
| quite nice and uses the tried and tested
| Eucalyptus technology. Also PostgresSQL seems
| to work as well as Oracle. It's all free,open
| source software.
`----

http://www.siriusit.co.uk/blogs/07-dec-2009/linux-private-cloud-best-cabinet-office

Days ago:

Troubled Â12bn NHS IT system to be scaled back

,----[ Quote ]