[News] Licensing of MySQL Database Under Attack

  • Subject: [News] Licensing of MySQL Database Under Attack
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 01:54:06 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Monty Program AB's Suggestion to EU Commission to Get Rid of the GPL on MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| I will now share with you a small section of
| the Monty Program AB's submission to the EU
| Commission, including its suggestion to
| replace the GPL with a more proprietary-
| friendly license, specifically the Apache
| license.

Licenses are Not the Hard Part

,----[ Quote ]
| Even analysis of the GNU General Public
| License (GPL) is not the hard part. My actual
| experience with that license has been that
| the kinds of issues that have engaged (and
| entertained) lawyers (such as myself) through
| innumerable hours of legal discourse
| represent a small fraction of actual cases.
| In the main volume of GPL-related activity,
| attention is on the basics--like actually
| making the GPL-licensed source code available
| and otherwise getting the details right.
`----

https://fossbazaar.org/content/licenses-are-not-hart-part

Recent:

The GPL Wins Again - Welte vs. Skype Technologies SA (Germany)

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, today was the hearing, and Welte reports that one of the judges told
| Skype's lawyer that if a copyright owner wants a publisher to publish his
| book in a green envelope, it might seem odd to the publisher, but he can't
| publish without the green envelope. In short, don't touch the GPL code if you
| don't follow the requirements of the license.
|
| Like it or lump it. I think that's how one would translate into English the
| judge's mindset.

Another GPL Lawsuit is Settled

,----[ Quote ]
| Third lawsuit over open source license violations is now closed. This time,
| it's a 'learning experience.'
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3732511/BusyBox+Settles+Another+GPL+Lawsuit.htm

BusyBox and Xterasys Settle GPL Lawsuit

,----[ Quote ]
| BusyBox has just successfully settled its GPL ligitation against Xterasys.
| Xterasys has agreed to stop all binary distribution of BusyBox until the
| Software Freedom Law Center confirms that it has published complete source
| code on its web site.

BusyBox Developers, SFLC Sue Verizon for GPL Infringement

| The same two principal developers already successfully sued Monsoon Media,
| and they have litigation pending against Xterasys Corporation and High-Gain
| Antennas, LLC. Here is the press release from the Software Freedom Law Center
| on the Verizon suit, followed by the complaint as text.

Verizon Being Sued for GPL Infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the SFLC, Verizon can be added to the list of companies
| infringing on the GPL. They filed a lawsuit in New York yesterday (pdf)
| alleging that the company is handing out routers using the GPL'd
| software 'BusyBox' without accompanying source code.
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/12/07/1953217&from=rss

Second Round of GPL Infringement Lawsuits Filed on Behalf of BusyBox Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC) today announced that it has filed two
| more copyright infringement lawsuits on behalf of its clients, two principal
| developers of BusyBox, alleging violation of the GNU General Public License
| (GPL). The defendants in the lawsuits are Xterasys Corporation and High-Gain
| Antennas, LLC. BusyBox is a lightweight set of standard Unix utilities
| commonly used in embedded systems and is open source software licensed under
| GPL version 2.
`----

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2007/nov/20/busybox/

Is the Monsoon settlement a missed opportunity?

,----[ Quote ]
| Certainly more was hoped for from the first US GPL lawsuit. âThis case is
| very important because it will establish what type of remedies (either
| contract or copyright) are available to licensors for breach of the GPLv2,â
| wrote Mark Radcliffe at the time the complaint was filed.
|
| However, for those looking for legal precedent, all may not be lost. âStay
| tuned, however, as this is likely not the last lawsuit we will see here in
| the U.S. to enforce the terms of the GPL,â notes Haislmaier.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2007/10/31/is-the-monsoon-settlement-a-missed-opportunity/

Do Microsoft's EULAs have any real legal basis?

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft has no special exemption from the sale of goods act." Well,
| no, probably not - but it might still be selling you "services"
| instead of "goods". But the real point to remember is that it doesn't
| matter a jot what the "logical" position is, it is what the courts
| decide that matters.
|
| As far as I know, no one has tested Microsoft's EULAs in a UK court
| and, until someone does, Microsoft will just go on assuming that they
| work. And I don't fancy the risk of taking on Microsoft's expensive
| lawyers in court myself...
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/25/microsoft_eula/

BusyBox Developers and Monsoon Multimedia Agree to Dismiss GPL Lawsuit

,----[ Quote ]
| The Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC) and Monsoon Multimedia today jointly
| announced that an agreement has been reached to dismiss the GPL enforcement
| lawsuit filed by SFLC on behalf of two principal developers of BusyBox.
`----

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2007/oct/30/busybox-monsoon-settlement/

And Just Like That, The Games End â First Ever GPL Lawsuit Dismissed

,----[ Quote ]
| In the agreement to dismiss the lawsuit, the SFLC is reporting that Monsoon
| Multimedia has agreed to appoint an âOpen Source Compliance Officerâ within
| its organization âto monitor and ensure GPL compliance, to publish the source
| code for the version of BusyBox it previously distributed on its web site,
| and to undertake substantial efforts to notify previous recipients of BusyBox
| from Monsoon Multimedia of their rights to the software under the GPL.
|
| [...]
|
| Stay tuned, however, as this is likely not the last lawsuit we will see here
| in the U.S. to enforce the terms of the GPL.
`----

http://thinkingopen.wordpress.com/2007/10/30/and-just-like-that-the-games-end-first-ever-gpl-lawsuit-dismissed/

SFLC: Setting Legal Precedent Not the Goal of GPL Case

,----[ Quote ]
| Software Freedom Law Center co-founder Dan Ravicher says the Centerâs
| copyright infringement case against Monsoon Multimedia on behalf of the
| creators of BusyBox is not about setting legal precedent for the use and
| interpretation of the GNU General Public License.
`----

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/osb/?p=241

GPL defenders say: See you in court

,----[ Quote ]
| The license also requires anyone distributing GPL software, in an executable
| form that a computer can run, to make the complete source code available. One
| example: Cisco Systems subsidiary Linksys, which  shares the GPL software
| used in its wireless networking equipment.
`----

http://www.news.com/GPL-defenders-say-See-you-in-court/2100-7344_3-6210837.html

First U.S. GPL lawsuit heads for quick settlement

,----[ Quote ]
| The first U.S. GPL-related lawsuit appears to be headed for a quick
| out-of-court settlement. Monsoon Multimedia admitted today that it had
| violated the GPLv2 (GNU General Public License version 2), and said it will
| release its modified BusyBox code in full compliance with the license.

New Method To Detect and Prove GPL Violations

,----[ Quote ]
| "A paper to be presented at the upcoming academic conference Automated
| Software Engineering describes a new method to detect code theft and could be
| used to detect GPL violations in particular. While the co-called birthmarking
| method is demonstrated for Java, it is general enough to work for other
| languages as well..."
`----

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/25/1648253&from=rss

German Court convicted Skype of violating the GPL

,----[ Quote ]
| German district court Munich has convicted Skype of violating the GPL. One of
| the VoIP telephones sold by Skype run Linux, but the GPL text was not handed
| out together with the phone, although the GPL requires that.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/07/24/german-court-convicted-skype-of-violating-the-gpl/#comment-27057

German GPL defender claims legal victory

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source programmer Harald Welte said Thursday he won a civil court
| case in Germany centered on the General Public License (GPL). The license
| governs many open-source projects and permits anyone to use software
| covered by it, but requires that companies incorporating GPL software
| make the underlying source code available.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-6113453.html?part=rss&tag=6113453&subj=news

gpl-violations.org project prevails in court case on GPL violation by D-Link

,----[ Quote ]
| D-Link Germany GmbH, a subsidiary of D-Link Corporation, Taiwan R.O.C.,
| distributed DSM-G600, a network attached storage (NAS) device which uses a
| Linux-based Operating System.  However, this distribution was incompliant
| with the GNU General Public License (GPL) which covers the Linux Kernel and
| many other software programs used in the product.
`----

http://gpl-violations.org/news/20060922-dlink-judgement_frankfurt.html

Wallace's Appeal Firmly Rejected - GPL Has Nothing to Fear [pdf]

,----[ Quote ]
| PJ: "Just so you know, Daniel Wallace's appeal of the ruling
| against him in his pro se quest to overthrow the GPL on antitrust
| grounds, one of SCO's daydreams too, has been firmly rejected by
| the appeals court, as I knew it would be."
`----

http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/WallaceAppealRejected.pdf

Would Dostoevsky Use the GPL?

,----[ Quote ]