[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux 10.0 Finally Here, as Alpha

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux 10.0 Finally Here, as Alpha
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 18:55:20 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Main frozen for Lucid Alpha 1

,----[ Quote ]
| Lucid alpha 1 is due this Thursday, so the
| soft freeze is now in effect for main.
| Please be considerate with your uploads,
| and watch for any release blocker bugs.
`----

http://release-blog.ubuntu.com/?p=89

Phone Shops and Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Thoughts? How can we get people using
| Ubuntu and calling it Ubuntu (not Linux,
| because that brand is burnt/toxic) or if
| your dealing with some other distro how
| can we communicate that distro without
| marketing deals and educational packs for
| each of these companies?
`----

http://doctormo.wordpress.com/2009/12/07/phone-shops-and-ubuntu/

Upgrading an Ubuntu server on the fly

,----[ Quote ]
| Can a Windows server do that?  A version
| upgrade, in place, without taking down the
| server, and with minimal offline time?  I
| donât think so.  I never really
| appreciated the convenience of being able
| to continue to use a Linux system during
| an upgrade until I needed to upgrade a
| working server.  Itâs nice.
`----

http://www.dwasifar.com/?p=924

Recent:

New Application Stack in Ubuntu 10.04

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 10.04, which will appear next April
| 2010 as Canonicalâs long-anticipated third
| LTS (Long Term Support) release, will
| feature substantial changes in the lineup
| of applications installed by default.
| Hereâs a look at the biggest ones, with
| some thoughts.
|
| Judging by the controversy over the
| replacement of Pidgin with Empathy, many
| Ubuntu users do not take kindly to
| decisions to modify the application stack
| in a default installation.  Even when the
| change arguably does not compromise
| important features and despite the fact
| that 35,000 applications are always just
| an âapt-get installâ awayâfor those who
| have the bandwidth, at leastâchange tends
| to spawn a lot of ire.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/12/04/new-application-stack-in-ubuntu-10-04/

Ubuntu 10.04 May Backport Newer Kernels

,----[ Quote ]
| By the time Ubuntu 10.04 rolls around in
| April, the Linux 2.6.33 kernel will have
| been released and the Linux 2.6.34 kernel
| will be in development, but the Ubuntu
| developers have decided to stick it out
| with the 2.6.32 kernel for a maximum
| stabilization period, especially since
| this is a Long-Term Support release.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzc3MA

Light Weight Ubuntu Kernel

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the biggest aspects of Gentoo is
| that you compile your own kernel. This was
| the most painful parts for me until I
| finally got the hang of it. The default
| Gentoo kernel is minimal and requires you
| to enable some extra features before
| compiling.
`----

http://profarius.com/content/%5Btitle-raw%5D

How The X Stack In Ubuntu 10.04 LTS May Look

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzcxOQ