[News] K Desktop Environment Turns to Windows Users for Staged Migration to Free Software

  • Subject: [News] K Desktop Environment Turns to Windows Users for Staged Migration to Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 17:50:56 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

KDE Windows Team Releases Applications from Software Compilation 4.3.4

,----[ Quote ]
| Following shortly after the release of KDE SC
| 4.3.4 for Linux and similar platforms, the KDE
| Windows team is pleased to announce the release
| of the latest KDE software for the Windows
| platform.
`----

http://www.kdenews.org/2009/12/08/kde-windows-team-releases-applications-software-compilation-434

Recent:

Linux Desktop Ready for the Users

,----[ Quote ]
| I often say that my hypothetical user for
| Kubuntu is my girlfriend. Unfortunately I'm
| between girlfriends at the moment but the
| intent is still there. Someone who uses the
| computer for everyday tasks of web
| browsing, chatting, watching videos,
| listening to music, writing some documents,
| storing photos. But also someone who
| doesn't care about computers any more than
| I care about my car, it should do the job
| but I don't want to have to fiddle with it
| to get it to work. Unfortunately I rarely
| get the chance to try out Kubuntu on such
| users, my family have all been using
| computers far longer than I have and are
| just as stuck in their ways as I am in
| mine.
|
| But yesterday I did get a chance to install
| Kubuntu on a dying WIndows machine. The
| worst part of the process was booting up
| Windows to see how much disk space there
| was, it took 20 minutes to boot up loading
| all the half broken vendor apps and anti-
| virus software. Then it took 20 minutes
| just to shut down, every 30 seconds
| interrupted by a "missing .dll" or similar
| dialogue.
|
| So up boots Kubuntu from the CD in half the
| time than Windows boots from hard disk. All
| hardware working perfectly.
`----

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/4100

KDE 4.3.2 Release Announcement