[News] US Government Debates Openness (Open Access)

  • Subject: [News] US Government Debates Openness (Open Access)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 18:10:54 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

[Federal Register: December 9, 2009 (Volume 74, Number 235)]

,----[ Quote ]
| With this notice, the Office of Science and
| Technology Policy (OSTP) within the Executive
| Office of the President, requests input from
| the community regarding enhancing public access
| to archived publications resulting from
| research funded by Federal science and
| technology agencies. This RFI will be active
| from December 10, 2009 to January 7, 2010.
| Respondents are invited to respond online via
| the Public Access Policy Forum at
| http://www.whitehouse.gov/open, or may submit
| be re-posted on the online forum. Instructions
| and a timetable for daily blog topics during
| this period are described at
| http://www.whitehouse.gov/open.
`----

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2009/E9-29322.htm

The White House has dumped Microsoft for LAMP/Free software.

Recent:

Open-source software opens business doors for web-development companies

,----[ Quote ]
| The City of Vancouver has launched a program in
| which much of its data is accessible to everyone.
| Itâs also replacing many of its applications with
| ones powered by OSS.
|
| Appnovation initially worked solely with Drupal,
| one of the most widely used OSS platforms â
| particularly among media companies and non-profit
| groups.
`----

http://www.bivinteractive.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2050&Itemid=30

Obama Team Challenges Web Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Having rebuilt Whitehouse.gov on the open
| source Drupal platform, President Obama's
| new media team is calling on the open
| source community for new ideas and
| technology.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/info-management/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=221900361

Should the White House Contribute to the Open Source Community?

,----[ Quote ]
| While this measure may not be an immediate
| cost-saver (5 different companies are
| involved in re-building and maintaining the
| White House web site), long-term costs
| should fall as government agencies are able
| to borrow from the greater Drupal community
| while incrementally improving on the
| websites code. But the question remains,
| will the Obama White House share some of the
| contributions itâs making to open source?
`----

http://appfrica.net/blog/2009/10/28/should-the-white-house-contribute-to-the-open-source-community/

Whitehouse.gov could be a springboard for Open Source for America

,----[ Quote ]
| Like many of you, I awoke Monday to read
| that whitehouse.gov was now running on open
| source products, including Drupal, Red Hat
| Linux, Apache web server, MySQL, and Apache
| Solr.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/whitehousegov-could-be-springboard-open-source-america-726

White House web site goes open source

http://ibtimes.com.au/articles/20091029/white-house-web-site-goes-open-source.htm

Dries Buytaert, founder of Drupal, on WhiteHouse.gov's open source platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Dries Buytaert: Any time a large, high
| traffic website launches on Drupal, it
| validates the choice that thousands of
| other organizations have made when
| incorporating Drupal into their Web
| strategy. The biggest questions for any
| CMS--whether it's open source or not--
| include the following: Is it hard to
| deploy? Does it meet the functional
| requirements? Will it scale? Is it secure?
| Will it help the organization meet its
| objectives for the Web? The launch of the
| White House website is another in a long
| line of proof points that demonstrate the
| success of Drupal as a web technology
| platform and a successful open source
| project.
`----

http://www.fiercegovernmentit.com/story/dries-buytaert-founder-drupal-whitehouse-govs-open-source-platform/2009-11-27

Exploring Drupal

,----[ Quote ]
| Get a brief overview of the various Drupals
| (the project, the websites, and the
| association) and what they mean to you.
| You'll also see some examples of Drupal in
| action and get an overall look at how
| Drupal works.
`----

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1409809&rll=1

BBC using Drupal

,----[ Quote ]
| BBC Magazines is the magazine publishing
| division of the British Broadcasting
| Corporation (BBC).
`----

http://buytaert.net/bbc-using-drupal

eDoorways Corp. (EDWY.PK) Selects Drupal to Expedite PlatformAfs Web 3.0 Integration - 12/1/09

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/2695484/