[News] Censorship Attempts Against Wikileaks and Bloggers

  • Subject: [News] Censorship Attempts Against Wikileaks and Bloggers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 18:17:15 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

UK air traffic control goes after Wikileaks

,----[ Quote ]
| The National Aviation and Transport Services
| (NATS) is threatening legal action against
| Wikileaks because the website has published
| a recording of the crashing of BA flight
| 038, call sign Speedbird 38, which came down
| just short of the Heathrow runway in 2008.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/09/wikileaks_legal/

TV Station Tells Blogger To Delete Twitter Message Or Face Legal Action

,----[ Quote ]
| davebarnes alerts us to a story of just such
| a situation involving an anonymous blogger
| in Oregon, who had heard about some
| "embarrassing" videos involving some local
| TV anchors. In looking for the videos, the
| blogger discovered the YouTube account in
| question had been closed, and sent out a
| Twitter message asking if anyone had seen
| the videos before the account was closed. In
| response, the blogger received a legal
| threat from the news director of the TV
| station demanding the removal of the Twitter
| message (which simply asked if anyone had
| seen the video and linked to a shuttered
| YouTube account).
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091208/1558487256.shtml

http://twitter.com/oregonmedia/statuses/6295351460

http://video.aol.com/video-search/query/koin%20news%20bloopers

Iranian Crackdown Goes Global

,----[ Quote ]
| His first impulse was to dismiss the ominous
| email as a prank, says a young Iranian-
| American named Koosha. It warned the 29-
| year-old engineering student that his
| relatives in Tehran would be harmed if he
| didn't stop criticizing Iran on Facebook.
|
| Two days later, his mom called. Security
| agents had arrested his father in his home
| in Tehran and threatened him by saying his
| son could no longer safely return to Iran.
|
| "When they arrested my father, I realized
| the email was no joke," said Koosha, who
| asked that his full name not be used.
`----

http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/content/iranian-crackdown-goes-global

Iranian police use teargas and batons in clashes with protesters

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/dec/07/police-crackdown-iranian-protesters

Aliens Vs. Predator Hits Australia Ratings Roadblock, Rebellion Won't Make 'Sanitized' Version

,----[ Quote ]
| Sega's Aliens vs. Predator reboot is too
| gory for Australia's ratings board, which
| has denied it classification, effectively
| blocking its release in the region.
`----

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=26377

Recent:

Guest Blog By Carey Mercer: How The Vancouver Olympics Is Fucking Over
Your Favourite Artists, And Why You Should Care

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://stereogum.com/archives/op-ed/guest_blog_by_carey_mercer_how_the_vancouver_olympics_103971.html