[News] ZDNet Blows Whistle on Fakes in Free/Open Source Software

  • Subject: [News] ZDNet Blows Whistle on Fakes in Free/Open Source Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 18:23:31 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Phony open source to be a 2010 trend

,----[ Quote ]
| When thereâs an open source âcommunityâ
| version and a paid âenterpriseâ version of
| the same software, what is the difference
| between writing a check for enterprise
| support and just buying a closed source
| license?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=5403

Phony Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Is there any better answer than a wolf in
| sheepâs clothing? (Again, I beg for the help
| of a skilled graphic artist!)
|
| Thatâs what fauxpen source is after all: an
| attempt to shroud restrictive software in
| the appearance of open-ness. We see it when
| so-called âopenâ projects are under
| exclusive âcovenantsâ and âpromisesâ â is
| that really âOpen Sourceâ? How about some
| restrictive trademark / logo / name / credit
| requirements? Or perhaps the source is
| available, but does not allow any community
| contributions?
|
| It seems to be that some people consider it
| a âwinâ if the absolute minimum standard to
| claim the term âOpen Sourceâ is met, despite
| any additional restrictions/requirements. As
| if the term itself is what is important.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2009/12/phony-open-source/

Recent:

Sun Exec Proposes Software Freedom Definition and Vendor Scorecard

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/sun-exec-proposes-software-freedom-definition-and-vendor-scorecard