Re: Top security firm: Default Windows 7 less secure than Vista

____/ nessuno on Thursday 10 Dec 2009 23:55 : \____

> <Quote>
> Windows 7 is less secure out-of-the box than Vista, despite Redmond's
> protestations to the contrary, a top security firm has claimed.
>
> Trend Micro said that the default configurations of Windows 7 are less
> secure than Vista [and] Windows 7 had sacrificed security for
> useability - at least for default configurations.
>
> "I'm not saying Windows 7 is insecure, but out of the box Vista is
> better," Genes told El Reg.
>
> The User Account Control (UAC) feature that debuted with Vista was a
> security safeguard that asked users for permission before allowing
> applications to run. The nagware technology irked users and was blamed
> for producing numerous largely meaningless pop-ups that users blithely
> clicked past.
>
> Even senior Microsoft execs...have taken to describing the technology
> disparagingly as "User Annoyance Control"..."I was disappointed when I
> first used a Windows 7 machine that there was no warning that I had no
> anti-virus, unlike Vista," Genes said. "There are no file extension
> hidden warnings either... Windows 7 may be an improvement in terms of
> useability but in terms of security it's a mistake, though one that
> isn't that surprising. When Microsoft's developers choose between
> usability and security, they will always choose useability," Genes
> argued."
> </Quote>
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/10/win7_vista_security/
>
> File extension hidden warnings.... so it warns when a file extension
> is hidden?  What is this file extension business, anyway?  My Linux
> system doesn't use file extensions....
>
> See also  "Windows 7 RC ignores file extension security risk",
>
> <Quote>
> Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC) continues a long-running Microsoft
> practice that puts users at risk, a security researcher said today.
>
> The new operating system's Windows Explorer file manager still
> misleads users about the true extension of a file, said Patrik Runald,
> chief research advisor at Helsinki-based F-Secure Corp. Rather than
> reveal the full extension for a filename, Windows Explorer hides the
> extension for known file types, giving hackers a way to disguise
> malware by using those file types' extensions and icons.
> </Quote>
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9132626/Windows_7_RC_ignores_file_extension_security_risk

It ought to be added that this is /not/ the first time a firm/experts warn
that Vista 7 is less secure than predecessors. I could find the links if anyone's
interested.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

When in doubt, use brute force. -- Ken Thompson
http://Schestowitz.com  | Mandriva Linux |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
         run-level 2  Nov 17 02:36