[News] Guide to Making GNU/Linux Desktops More Visually Advanced

  • Subject: [News] Guide to Making GNU/Linux Desktops More Visually Advanced
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 17:57:49 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Make Linux look awesome!

,----[ Quote ]
| Adding eye candy should never be about purely
| cosmetic changes. Instead, it should enhance
| the usability of the desktop and make the
| average session more productive and more
| streamlined. We're going to show you how to do
| just this, and in the process we'll help you
| turn your Linux desktop into the envy of your
| proprietary OS-loving friends.
`----

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/make-linux-look-awesome

An interesting look at the Linux CLI-GUI debate once more.

,----[ Quote ]
| I believe both have a role to play in helping
| an end user make the most of their system. I
| don't however, believe a person's inability to
| use the CLI actually makes them dumb. Neither
| do I believe that you'd be diminishing your
| status by using point and click to get things
| done for the sheer reason that you're a CLI
| guru. If Linux is actually going to go anywhere
| in the future, the sometimes fundamental stance
| people take on the issue of CLI vrs GUI ought
| to be discouraged.
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2009/12/interesting-look-at-linux-cli-gui.html

Recent:

The Road to Compiz++ Part One: Plugin-Plugins

,----[ Quote ]
| So from now until we finally make a Compiz
| 0.9.0 beta release I will be doing some short
| blog posts on what the differences between
| Compiz 0.8 and Compiz 0.9 are for both users
| and developers. Compiz 0.9 is a complete re-
| thinking of Compiz 0.8. Itâs like KDE4 was to
| KDE3. Totally new frameworks. Totally new
| buildsystem. Totally new API. Itâs supposed to
| clear the ground from major architectural flaws
| that were in older versions of compiz to make
| development far easier and faster even for
| future version of compiz.
`----

http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2009/10/20/the-road-to-compiz-part-one-plugin-plugins/

Compiz Fusion boost my 3D performance

,----[ Quote ]
| The installation went smooth without any error. I found that the
| compiz-fusion features offer more choice of effects compared to it's sibling
| compiz. And the thing that I am really impressed after read the glxgears, I
| am getting constantly rate whooping up to 1200+ fps compare to the previous
| at 140 fps!
`----

http://planetyazid.blogspot.com/2009/07/compiz-fusion-boost-my-3d-performance.html

Compiz 0.9.x - Where are we now, and where to from here

,----[ Quote ]
| Anyways, this post is about Compiz 0.9.x (formerly âcompiz++â). Compiz 0.9.x
| started in december when onestone announced his core rewrite on the mailing
| list. It had features like pluggable output backends, written in c++ (and a
| few nice interfaces that came with it) and other misc bits and pieces. It was
| designed mostly in mind to overcome a lot of the design problems we were
| having, like plugin-plugins and a ridiculous amound of code to manage lists.
| In Janurary, some developers started to toy around with it and at the
| beginning of this February, we announced that compiz++ would become the base
| for the 0.9.x series and the 0.9.x series would features some major reworks.
| Weâve all been quite busy during that time - so weâve done whatever possible
| to push the branch forwards.
`----

http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2009/04/02/compiz-09x-where-are-we-now-and-where-to-from-here/

[FusionComm] Compiz 0.8.2 fully released !

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://lists.compiz-fusion.org/pipermail/community/2009-March/000185.html