[News] The Databases Debate Resumes in Europe

  • Subject: [News] The Databases Debate Resumes in Europe
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 18:46:33 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The case against the case against Oracle-MySQL

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2009/12/10/the-case-against-the-case-against-oracle-mysql/

Oracle plays hardball with Euro regulators

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle remains confident that the European
| Union will cave in and abandon objections to
| its proposed takeover of Sun Microsystems.
|
| The firm gave evidence in Brussels
| yesterday, including support from several
| customers who believe that MySQL is not a
| serious competitor to Oracle's core database
| products.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/11/oracle_ec_no/

Fluendo Group Concerned Over EC Threat to Open-Source Investment

,----[ Quote ]
| Fluendo S.A. today expressed its concern
| that, if upheld, the European Commission's
| objections regarding Oracleâs acquisition of
| Sun could set a precedent that will
| undermine the development of open source
| technology worldwide.
`----

http://www.prlog.org/10445323-fluendo-group-concerned-over-ec-threat-to-opensource-investment.html

MySQL in Oracles Hands: Open Source Users Weigh In

,----[ Quote ]
| With debate brewing about whether database,
| application and middleware giant Oracle
| should be able to obtain commercial open
| source database vendor MySQL, concerns about
| the proposed acquisition have a part to play
| in a predicted decline of MySQL use,
| according to a report by market research
| firm The 451 Group.
`----

http://www.information-management.com/news/oprn_source_mysql_oracle_acquisition_european_commision_decline-10016718-1.html

IBM, Oracle, Open Source: Mixed Motives Abound

,----[ Quote ]
| The Oracle/European Union drama never stops.
| Now IBM's stuck their collective necks into
| the fray and said that Oracle's acquisition
| of Sun should go through if they make some
| positive open source gestures to all
| parties. Meaning what exactly, though?
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/12/ibm_oracle_open.html;jsessionid=OUT0ENJUXIDQ1QE1GHRSKH4ATMY32JVN