[News] Openness and Free Software in Health, Textbooks Licensing

  • Subject: [News] Openness and Free Software in Health, Textbooks Licensing
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 18:49:19 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

HIE Firm Opens Platform to Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Salt Lake City-based vendor is not

| placing its source code on the open source
| market, Kipp Lassetter, M.D., chair and CEO
| emphasizes. "It's not a first step toward
| moving to open source, but definitely
| defining the system as an open system."
`----

http://www.healthdatamanagement.com/news/open_source_HIE_platform_developers-39483-1.html

Health IT cited as evidence for importance of new open government directive

,----[ Quote ]
| OMB also highlighted the a programming
| âcode-a-thonâ sponsored by HHS in August to
| bring together public and private open
| source developers to improve the agencyâs
| âConnectâ healthcare Internet gateway
| project and broaden its use. The software,
| developed by a group of federal agencies,
| enables organizations to exchange health
| data according to standards established for
| the nationwide health information network
| (NHIN).
`----

http://www.govhealthit.com/newsitem.aspx?nid=72698

License For Textbooks â GNU FDL Or CC?

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm a college professor who is putting together
| an open-source textbook. I'm trying to decide
| between using the GNU Free Documentation
| License or the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0
| United States License. I don't really
| understand the difference between these, though
| it seems with the Free Documentation License I
| need to include a copy of the license in my
| text. Which do you advise using?
`----

http://ask.slashdot.org/story/09/12/10/1950256/License-For-Textbooks-mdash-GNU-FDL-Or-CC

Recent:

Consultancy, Open Source Firm Target HIEs

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.healthdatamanagement.com/news/HIE-39353-1.html