[News] Updegrove on Standards with Analogies

Jazz, Jazz Standards, and Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Is one type of standard better than another?
| Clearly not; they simply serve different
| goals. The art, as in so many things, is to
| find the right balance (even in the second
| type of standard) between ensuring
| usability, while enabling beneficial
| creativity.
|
| This need for balance is recognized in one
| of the core tenets of modern standard
| setting, applauded by competitors, antitrust
| authorities and economists alike. That tenet
| goes something like this: vendors should be
| encouraged to collaborate on the creation of
| the standards necessary to enable new goods
| and services to be offered, and then compete
| in the creation of additional value-added
| features that will distinguish their
| particular wares in the marketplace from
| each other. And, in fact, this is exactly
| what does happen all of the time.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/bulletins/#considerthis

News Corp, Time, others detail e-standard venture

,----[ Quote ]
| News Corp, Time Warner Inc's Time Inc and
| three other publishers detailed their long-
| expected plans to develop open standards for
| a new digital storefront and technology to
| help prepare their print titles for devices
| ranging from e-books to tablet computers.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/08/AR2009120801921.html

Recent:

Open formats over open words