Re: [News] Microsoft's Fear of Competitors Becomes Pathological

____/ Paul Stabler on Friday 11 Dec 2009 20:53 : \____

> On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 20:33:30 GMT, 7
> <website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>All that and micoshaft's behaviour is the thin end of
>>the wedge covered by the term 'Nervous Marketing'.
>>Nervous marketing displaces intelligent thought out
>>marketing with cheesy marketing that end with loss of customers.
>>
>>Asstroturfing is nervous cheesy marketing for instance
>>run by Appil and Micoshaft in COLA in a war against
>>their own customers that co-own Linux hardware and software.
> Well stated! I call it guerilla marketing and it takes the place of a
> well thought out marketing plan, like you say. It's a short term.
> Unlike guerilla warfare where a well organized army can be worn down
> by the guerillas, guerilla marketing is only a stop gap. Unless the
> company releases products that the public is interested in, the
> company will ultimately fail. It's just a matter of time. Microsoft
> has been hurt badly by the Vista debacle and in these trying economic
> times the consumer is being more cautious and conservative in their
> purchasing habits. This is one reason why Apple's sales are still
> increasing. Apple, for better or worse, is a known qunatity and while
> it's expensive it's a quality product they make. What Linux needs is
> some good WOM marketing. I've seen Linux netbooks for sale where I
> live and from what I have been told by sales people they are selling
> because the price is right. As Linux appears in mobile gadgets people
> will become more familiar with it and more apt to try Linux. I wonder
> what would happen if say Ubuntu or Suse spent some money on commercial
> advertising in the mainstream media and targeted the home computer
> user like say the Mac vs PC commercials do. Linue really needs
> something like that to help in getting recognized as software for the
> average person instead of just a geek toy thing. As for astroturfing,
> it happens in all walks of life.  You will find shills in just about
> any online manufacturer's forum. I don't think I have ever seen it at
> the level Microsoft does, but not many companies have the resources
> that Microsoft has and I have no doubt that at least some of these
> people are being paid in one form or another to shill Microsoft.

At some stage, when the revenue stream declines in size, then the
guerilla marketing they employ (e.g. bribing Twitter users)
does not make economic sense, let alone ethical sense.

In their latest financial report, Microsoft shows Windows revenue
declining by 40%. Selling Windows at a loss on netbooks (to
counter Linux) did not help much.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

"If you canât make it good, at least make it look good."
		--Bill Gates, Microsoft
Mem:   2075800k total,  1660792k used,   415008k free,    12460k buffers