[News] Freedom and Sharing Increasingly Adopted to Succeed

  • Subject: [News] Freedom and Sharing Increasingly Adopted to Succeed
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 16:05:15 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Future Impact of Openness

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Commission has released a
| report [.pdf] with the rather unpromising
| title "Trends in connectivity technologies
| and their socio-economic impacts". Despite
| this, and a rather stodgy academic style,
| there are a number of interesting points
| made.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/12/future-impact-of-openness.html

MIT OCW Funding Analysis (and Implications)

,----[ Quote ]
| Ryanâs article is an extended argument for
| why MIT should continue to support OCW after
| its grant funding runs out in two years. I
| (and I expect most readers of this blog)
| agree with the importance he places on the
| project and the very important public good
| it has become. More importantly, MIT OCW is
| terribly important to the broader field of
| open education.
`----

http://opencontent.org/blog/archives/1173

Update on MIT OCW Finances â and Click to Enroll!

http://opencontent.org/blog/archives/1180

Visualising Open Data

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the heartening trends in openness
| recently has been the increasing, if
| belated, release of non-personal government
| data around the world. Even the UK is waking
| up to the fact that transparency is not just
| good democracy, but is good economics too,
| since it can stimulate all kinds of
| innovation based on mashups of the
| underlying data.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/12/visualising-open-data.html

Uncommon Meditations on the Commons

,----[ Quote ]
| It's significant that books about the
| commons are starting to appear more
| frequently now. Here's one that came out six
| months ago:
|
|     Who Owns the World? The Rediscovery of
|     the Commons, has now been published by
|     oekom Verlag in Berlin. (The German
|     title is Wem gehÃrt die Welt â Zur
|     Wiederentdeckung der GemeingÃter.) The
|     book is an anthology of essays by a wide
|     range of international authors,
|     including Elinor Ostrom, Richard
|     Stallman, Sunita Narain, Ulrich
|     Steinvorth, Peter Barnes, Oliver
|     Moldenhauer, Pat Mooney and David
|     Bollier.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/12/uncommon-meditations-on-commons.html

IFNCs: Consortia May Have To Give Away Content For Free

,----[ Quote ]
| âIf you take this stack of video stories
| about a region and you create a kind of
| syndication model - itâs probably a free
| syndication model - you actually create an
| enabling mechanism for people to access this
| video content and do something with it,â
| Ofcomâs content and standards partner
| Stewart Purvis told the regulatorâs Have We
| Got News For You? conference in Cardiff on
| Friday.
`----

http://paidcontent.co.uk/article/419-ifncs-consortia-may-have-to-give-away-content-for-free/

Related:

MIT Faculty and Libraries Refuse DRM; SAE Digital Library Canceled

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news-libraries.mit.edu/blog/archives/category/subject-areas/engineering/