[News] OpenOffice.org Development News and Benchmarks, a Good Future for ODF

  • Subject: [News] OpenOffice.org Development News and Benchmarks, a Good Future for ODF
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 16:34:27 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Brainstorm New Ideas: Document Check

http://uxopenofficeorg.blogspot.com/2009/12/brainstorm-new-ideas-document-check.html

results of automated tests from OOO320m5 and OOO320m7

,----[ Quote ]
| Automated tests on milestone OO320m7 are
| finished. Automated testing team reported a
| 'green state' for all automated tests. Just
| a small problem in w_updt.bas bother the
| consistent picture of all platforms marked
| green in QUASTe. This issue wasn't easy to
| find but at the end we solved the problem in
| showstopper CWS 'jl146' with issue 107038.
| Depending on desktop respectively
| OpenOffice.org window size the document is
| middle or left aligned with automatic view
| layout (which is default). This lead to the
| problem sometimes the objects in writer
| document were drawn outside of the documents
| area by autotest. Finally we found and fixed
| it by correcting view layout before
| testcases run. Some additional minor fixes
| for more stability were also done in this
| CWS. Punctually with release of RC1 next
| week the autotests are expected to deliver a
| 'green state' on initial testrun.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/results_of_automated_tests_from

ODF - The Future of Literate Programming?

,----[ Quote ]
| Which brings me to the 'what if' question.
| What if we leveraged the fact that there is
| now a non-proprietary standard XML
| representation for richly formatted office
| documents called ODF[2]. What if we used ODF
| compatible tools like OpenOffice[3] to write
| our programs? How would we extract the lines
| of code to feed to our compilers? We could
| just use paragraph styles that indicate
| Ãfeed this to the compilerÃ.
|
| For documentation, an embarrassment of
| riches would then be instantly available. We
| could use level heading to split up the
| code/documentation into hierarchical chunks.
| We could generate tables of contents from
| these level headings. We could insert
| pictures wherever we need them along with
| tables, cross references, index entries and
| so on. Heck we could even embed
| spreadsheets, photographs taken of white-
| boards at planning meetings, the whole
| shebang.
|
| WYSIWYG literate programming with ODF? I do
| not see why not.
`----

http://www.propylon.com/news/ctoarticles/051129_odf_the_future.html

Open for business

,----[ Quote ]
| Open for Business logoA couple of years ago
| we came up with a slogan for OpenOffice.org
| â Open for Business â to get across a couple
| of messages:
|
|     * OpenOffice.org software may be used by
|     commercial businesses completely free of
|     any licence fees
|     * OpenOffice.org software is also a
|     great platform to build businesses
|     around â training providers, systems