[News] Many Developments Around the Linux Graphics Stack

  • Subject: [News] Many Developments Around the Linux Graphics Stack
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:08:40 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

New xf86-video-intel 2.10 Testing Release

,----[ Quote ]
| Less than two weeks ago the first release
| candidate for the xf86-video-intel 2.10
| driver was released, but now the second
| release candidate can be obtained from its
| Git repository. Not a whole lot of work has
| been committed to the Intel DDX driver
| since xf86-video-intel 2.9.99.901, but
| 2.9.99.902 is out there and testing is
| appreciated.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzc5Ng

What Will Happen To xf86-video-nv In 2010?

,----[ Quote ]
| While the Gallium3D driver to provide
| 3D/OpenGL acceleration (along with OpenCL,
| OpenVG, OpenGL ES and other accelerated
| APIs through the state tracker interface)
| will not be released right away as this is
| where the bulk of the development is still
| taking place, the Nouveau driver already
| has many advantages over what it is
| replacing: xf86-video-nv. The xf86-video-nv
| driver is NVIDIA's attempt at an open-
| source driver in the way of just providing
| very basic user mode-setting for their
| hardware and limited 2D acceleration.
| That's about it for the features of this
| driver with no RandR 1.2 support or any
| other DDX features found in most other
| drivers.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzc5OA

The Nouveau Pony Is Pulled, Ctx_Voodoo Ignored

,----[ Quote ]
| Leading up to this though, Red Hat
| attributed Nouveau not entering the
| mainline tree sooner on the basis of some
| microcode/firmware concerns. Without
| sorting out the issue for this mysterious
| microcode, known as ctx_voodoo, they could
| not sign off on the code. As of right now,
| they haven't even fully resolved this
| situation but they are just having
| ctx_voodoo be loaded through the kernel's
| firmware loader interface. However, we have
| learned that ctx_voodoo is not even needed
| for all graphics cards and that Red Hat was
| just attempting to ignore this little fact.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzc5OQ

NVIDIA 190.53 Pre-Release Linux Driver

,----[ Quote ]
| For those not interested in the Nouveau
| driver, head on over to NVIDIA's FTP server
| as a new 190.xx driver is available. Late
| last month NVIDIA released the 195.22 beta
| Linux driver as the first in this new
| driver series, and while there are new
| features and advancements going on there,
| NVIDIA is still maintaining the current
| 190.xx stable driver series. Released last
| night was the NVIDIA 190.53 pre-release
| driver.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzgwMQ

Recent:

Another Shot At The KMS Page-Flipping Ioctl

,----[ Quote ]
| This DRM ioctl patch touches about 400 lines of
| code (mostly the addition of new code) and is
| now
|
| hopefully ready to enter the Linux 2.6.33
| kernel, which is great news for those using the
| X Server and also those wanting to experiment
| with Wayland but have been waiting for more of
| the work to land in mainline trees. The Linux
| 2.6.33 kernel will be the first release in 2010.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzY5OA

OpenCL Over Mesa, Gallium3D Discussion

,----[ Quote ]