[News] GNU/Linux Distributions Comparable to Google's Chrome OS

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Distributions Comparable to Google's Chrome OS
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:26:46 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Five Web-Centric Alternatives to Google Chrome OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite Googleâs move into the operating
| system (OS) space, the idea of a primarily
| cloud-centric OS is nothing revolutionary; the
| earliest examples date back to 1999. And
| although numerous other attempts at developing
| Web-centric OSesn none up to this point have
| truly broken into the mainstream. But some
| current offerings present welcome alternatives
| to mainstream operating systems, packing in
| useful features and making it easier to access
| your online content.
`----

http://www.chromeosgeek.com/five-web-centric-alternatives-to-google-chrome-os.html

Recent:

Building ChromeOS on Gentoo

http://p-static.blogspot.com/2009/11/building-chromeos-on-gentoo.html

Who do you trust with your data ?!

,----[ Quote ]
| The operating system will essentially be your
| Google Chrome browser and little else. Any
| data you need to save will be held on Google's
| servers somewhere in the world. Would you be
| happy with this arrangement ?. I expect that
| when you first load up the new OS or very soon
| thereafter, you will be asked to tick a box
| agreeing to their terms before you can proceed
| further in setting up your account. This is
| the bit where you will sign your digital life
| away to an organisation you will have to place
| your total trust in.
`----

http://wadsworths-way.blogspot.com/2009/11/who-do-you-trust-with-your-data.html

Just Today: Download of VMware Image of Google Chrome OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has prepared its Chromium OS, alias
| Chromium, for download. Anyone hesitant to
| intall if from source code will find a
| functioning VMware image from Linux Magazine
| Online.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Online/News/Just-Today-Download-of-VMware-Image-of-Google-Chrome-OS

Want To Try Out Google Chrome OS For Yourself? Hereâs How.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/11/19/guide-install-google-chrome-os/

Want That Early Chrome OS Build? You Got It.

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/14/want-that-early-chrome-os-build-you-got-it/