[News] Intellectual Monopolies Challenged with Broader Impact in Mind

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies Challenged with Broader Impact in Mind
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 01:11:29 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Filesharing is good for social welfare

,----[ Quote ]
| Does filesharing reduce profits of the
| music industry? This paper claims so, and
| that should not be that much of a surprise.
| However, it also argues that filesharing is
| welfare improving because it leads to more
| competition and thus lower prices.
| Remember, ultimately it is the consumer
| that counts when computing a surplus, not
| just music industry profits.
`----

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000001993

Digital Publications May Be A Hard Sell

,----[ Quote ]
| Five of the largest U.S. newspaper and
| magazine publishers have announced plans to
| develop a new digital e-reader format that
| would meld the visual esthetics of print
| with the rich capabilities of online media,
| including video, social networking, touch
| input, and games. A joint venture of
| publishing powerhouses Time Inc., News
| Corp., Conde Nast, Hearst Corp., and
| Meredith Corp., the project will launch
| next year. It's designed to offer a
| superior user experience to current e-
| readers such as the Amazon Kindle and
| Barnes & Noble Nook, which are fine for
| book-reading but ill-equipped to handle
| video, high-resolution color images, and
| other media elements that today's Web-
| browsing readers take for granted.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/184037/digital_publications_may_be_a_hard_sell.html

Nobel Streams Laureates Over the Web in Bid to Build Brand

,----[ Quote ]
| In a break from decades of Nobel history --
| when laureates' lectures were available
| only in real time to privileged attendees
| in Oslo and Stockholm -- this year's
| speeches are being broadcast live on the
| Web. The offerings are part of the
| foundation's drive to spread the Nobel
| brand and harness long-neglected
| intellectual-property rights.

`----
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126040781102484651.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsTop

Sarkozy to protect French literature from readers and the evils of increased relevance

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the NYT, Nicolas Sarkozy said
| that â[w]e wonât let ourselves be stripped
| of our heritage to the benefit of a big
| company, no matter how friendly, big or
| American it is,â probably referring to the
| fact that about half of the 12 million
| books scanned by Google are not in English.
| How exactly is cultural heritage threatened
| by increased access? Because hundreds of
| thousands of links to French language books
| would be added to the 850,000 entries in
| the French Wikipedia within weeks? Because
| more and more people around the world would
| read, re-read, and incorporate in their own
| lifes, storytelling, and cultural
| production French works? Prime Minister
| Francois Fillon similarly said that France
| would not accept another cultural industry
| being âthreatened by looting.â So culture
| is looted by access, use, and relevance?
| What a profound misunderstaning of what
| culture is and how it works.
`----

http://www.antitrustreview.com/archives/1753

Recent:

Dear Mandy: complaining to Peter Mandelson through the power of song

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://theridiculant.metro.co.uk/2009/11/dear-mandy-complaining-to-peter-mandelson-through-the-power-of-song.html