[News] [Rival] After Comes, Microsoft Pays $60,000,000 to Iowa for Past Crimes

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] After Comes, Microsoft Pays $60,000,000 to Iowa for Past Crimes
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 01:51:02 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Iowa schools awarded $60 million from Microsoft settlement

,----[ Quote ]
| More than $60 million will be given to Iowa
| schools for the purchase of new technology,
| thanks to a 2007 settlement to an anti-
| trust lawsuit against Microsoft Corp.
|
| In April 2007, a Polk County judge approved
| a settlement where the software giant
| agreed to pay Iowa consumers $179.95
| million. Attorneys had brought a lawsuit
| alleging that Microsoft overcharged Iowa
| consumers and businesses for certain
| products. As part of the settlement,
| Microsoft also agreed to provide half of
| the funds not claimed by consumers to Iowa
| public schools in the form of vouchers that
| may be used to purchase a broad range of
| hardware products, Microsoft and non-
| Microsoft software, and professional
| development services.
`----

http://iowaindependent.com/23197/iowa-schools-awarded-60-million-from-microsoft-settlement

Iowa Schools Gets $60M From Microsoft Settlement

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=9281272

Microsoft Settlement to Fund $60 Million for Eligible Public Schools in Iowa

,----[ Quote ]
| The funds will be distributed in the form
| of vouchers, which can be redeemed for cash
| to reimburse schools for their purchase of
| a wide variety of computer hardware and
| software products, including both Microsoft
| and non-Microsoft products.
`----

http://www.rdmag.com/News/Feeds/2009/12/information-tech-microsoft-settlement-to-fund-60-million-for-eligi/

Public schools get $60 million from Microsoft settlement

,----[ Quote ]
| About 75 percent of Iowa schools, or more
| than 1,000 schools, will be eligible to
| take part in the program. The funds will be
| distributed to schools through vouchers for
| software and hardware product purchases.
`----

http://www.qctimes.com/news/local/article_eb6d7f96-e47b-11de-8025-001cc4c002e0.html

Schools will receive millions from Microsoft settlement

,----[ Quote ]
| âAt a time when we have tremendous economic
| challenges, to see this amount of money
| coming to a lot of our schools is just
| unbelievable,â Jeffrey said. The money is
| part of a nearly $180 million settlement in
| a class action suit alleging that Microsoft
| overcharged Iowa consumers and businesses
| for certain products.
`----

http://www.radioiowa.com/2009/12/08/schools-will-receive-millions-from-microsoft-settlement/

Recent:

Iowans Seek Payments From Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Attorneys for Microsoft and the plaintiffs said Wednesday that it's too early
| to determine how many will file. The class totals nearly 1 million members.
| Class members have until Dec. 14 to file a claim.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070801/microsoft_settlement_claims.html?.v=1

New Economic Study Finds Intel Extracted Monopoly Profits of $60 Billion Since
1996

,----[ Quote ]
| McCoy continued, "That $80 billion translates into an Intel monopoly tax on
| every consumer who purchases a computer. That's a jaw-dropping figure that
| helps explain why the European Commission brought antitrust charges against
| Intel - the real harm that its abuse of monopoly power causes competition and
| consumers."
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070802/20070801006554.html?.v=1

Jury Hears Microsoft Competition Suit

,----[ Quote ]
| A judge on Friday told jurors they must accept as fact that a
| federal court found in 1999 that Microsoft holds a monopoly over
| computer operating systems and that it restricted computer
| manufacturers' ability to use competing systems.
|
| [...]
|
| She said she'll show that the company used its monopoly power
| to exclude competition and control prices and that it conspired with
| other companies to restrain trade, maintaining what she called a
| chokehold on software competitors and computer manufacturers.
|
| "It isn't illegal to be successful," Conlin said in opening
| remarks. "We applaud that. ... But you can't freeze out competitors
| and punish and retaliate against people who cooperate with
| competitors. Microsoft did all that and more."
|
| Conlin warned jurors that she would say some unflattering things
| about Microsoft and its billionaire founder Bill Gates, who
| serves as company chairman.
|
| [...]
|
| Conlin's first 3 1/2 hours of opening arguments delved deeply into
| computer industry history and how Microsoft fought off competitors
| attempting to design rival software.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061201/microsoft_trial.html?.v=1

EU issues antitrust charge sheet against Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Commission issued formal charges against Intel on Thursday for
| allegedly using illegal tactics against smaller rival Advanced Micro Devices,
| a European Commission spokesman said.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6199093.html

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]
| He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop a
| gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a vicious
| fight between AMD and Intel, he said.

AMD chief condemns Intel 'abuses'

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2005, after the Japan Fair Trade Commission found Intel guilty of
| offering illegal rebates to Japanese PC makers, AMD filed an anti-trust
| suit against its competitor in the U.S. District Court in Delaware. The
| case has not been decided.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/06/21/amd_ceo_condemns_intel_abuses/

AMD: Intel Destroyed Evidence in Antitrust Case

,----[ Quote ]
| In an unpublished statement to the U.S. District Court of Delaware,
| AMD alleges Intel allowed the destruction of evidence in pending
| antitrust litigation.

Video: Henri Richard comes out swinging at Intel during AMD press conference

,----[ Quote ]
| [AMD's Henri Richard:] "I am sick and tired of being pushed around
| by a competitor that doesn't respect the rules of fair and open
| competition."
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=363

Investors sue Dell on payments from Intel: WSJ

,----[ Quote ]
| An investor lawsuit seeking class-action status accuses Dell Inc. of
| improper accounting in its relationship with chip giant Intel,
| according to a media report published Thursday evening.
|
| [...]
|
| The suit alleges that Dell received at times as much as $1 billion
| a year in "secret and likely illegal" kickbacks in the form of
| "e-Cap" or "exception to corporate average pricing" payments"
| from Intel to ensure that Dell used no other chip supplier,
| according to The Journal.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/investors-sue-dell-payments-intel/story.aspx?guid=%7B400315B0%2DE375%2D4920%2DB300%2D784220BEFE35%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

Lenovo got financial help from Intel, claim

,----[ Quote ]
| Journalists on the title said Lenovo is being paid a "pretty
| penny" from Intel to use its chips.

| In 2005, a unit of Shenzhen Donjin countersued, saying Intel engaged
| in monopolistic practices.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070514/china_intel_settlement.html?.v=7

Intel's anti-trust memos started vanishing from the top

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/11/intel_tortellini_episode/