[News] Linux Kernel Space Adds Infrared Receiver Support; New Benchmark, Conference

  • Subject: [News] Linux Kernel Space Adds Infrared Receiver Support; New Benchmark, Conference
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 23:53:22 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Kernel support for infrared receivers

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the stated goals of the staging
| tree is to bring widely-used drivers into
| the mainline kernel tree. This effort has
| been quite successful; the number of out-
| of-tree drivers has dropped considerably
| over the last year or so. There is one
| high-profile holdout, though: the Linux
| Infrared Remote Control (LIRC) subsystem.
| LIRC is used to obtain input events from
| remote control devices and feed them
| through to applications; Linux-based
| digital video recorder systems are heavy
| LIRC users, but there are others as well.
| Back in October, Jarod Wilson posted a new
| version of LIRC for consideration. One
| month later, the kernel developers have
| started talking about it; what they lack
| in punctuality has been more than made up
| for in volume.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/364515/

With Linux 2.6.32, Btrfs Gains As EXT4 Recedes

,----[ Quote ]
| While the EXT3 file-system has been in the
| mainline Linux kernel since 2001 and work
| started on it back in the late 90's, this
| mature file-system (that used to be the
| default for most Linux distributions up
| until this year when more vendors began
| adopting EXT4) is still running strong
| with the Linux 2.6.32 kernel. In fact,
| after the recent EXT4 changes, EXT3 by
| default is faster than EXT4 in many of our
| disk benchmarks.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2632_fs&num=1

Top Geeks To Converge On Wellington

,----[ Quote ]
| When the first Australasian Linux
| conference (LCA) was held at Monash
| University, Melbourne in 1999, it was
| funded entirely from one of the founder's
| personal credit cards. Since then, the
| conference has gone from strength to
| strength, attracting some of the biggest
| corporate sponsors such as Google, HP and
| IBM. In 2010, LCA will come to Wellington,
| New Zealand from Monday 18 to Saturday 23
| January, bringing together some of the
| brightest minds in the free and open
| source community.
`----

http://www.voxy.co.nz/business/top-geeks-converge-wellington/5/33114

Recent:

Kernel Log: New stable kernels, 2.6.33 with DRBD and RT2800PCI

,----[ Quote ]
| Kernel versions 2.6.27.40, 2.6.27.41 and
| 2.6.31.7 offer minor improvements and correct
| several bugs â including one security hole.
| Torvalds has already incorporated more than
| 5,000 changes for Linux 2.6.33. Its merge
| window will probably be open for just over
| another week. Various developers are working
| on significant improvements to the open source
| Radeon graphics drivers.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Kernel-Log-New-stable-kernels-2-6-33-with-DRBD-and-RT2800PCI-883212.html

A Great Present In The Linux 2.6.33 Kernel

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzc4OQ