[News] GNOME Desktop Environment Gets Really Good, KDE 4.4 Second Beta Imminent

  • Subject: [News] GNOME Desktop Environment Gets Really Good, KDE 4.4 Second Beta Imminent
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 00:16:36 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Watch out Microsoft: GNOME is poised to have a killer 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| With 3.0 on the horizon, it made me wonder --
| when was the last time you looked at GNOME?
| This open source desktop project actually
| celebrated its 10th anniversary in 2009
| (March, 2009). It had intended to release the
| much ballyhooed 3.0 version this year, but
| for various reasons, decided the latest
| release, available in October, would be
| better off named GNOME 2.30.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/48972

Community, Identity, Stability

,----[ Quote ]
| The second beta release of KDE Software
| Compilation 4.4 is coming up in about a week
| and a half. Itâs a long name for a release,
| but it carries with it additional meanings
| and allows emphasis in important areas which
| were not as strongly emphasized before.
`----

http://steveire.wordpress.com/2009/12/13/community-identity-stability/

Recent:

KDE 4.4 Window Style Oxygen meets Nitrogen

http://www.benkevan.com/blog/kde-4-4-window-style-oxygen-meets-nitrogen/

NVIDIA Anti-Aliasing, Linux & Lenvik

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=aa_linux_lenvik&num=1

KDE SC 4.4 Preview (Part II)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrcIUkQnYjk

Hands-on: Plasma, KWin improve in KDE SC 4.4 beta 1

,----[ Quote ]
| There are a number of more sophisticated
| KWin changes that are under active
| development but probably won't arrive in
| KDE SC 4.4. I'm particularly enthusiastic
| about a project that was undertaken by
| developer Nikhil Marathe which will
| ultimately add dynamic window tiling, so
| that KWin can be used like Ion and other
| keyboard-oriented tiling window managers.
| It's still at an early stage of
| development, but it shows considerable
| promise.
|
| Several new applications will debut in 4.4,
| including a new blogging tool called
| Blogilo. The tool, formerly known as Bilbo,
| is designed to give users a way to manage
| and post content to blogs that use the
| Metaweblog API, including Wordpress,
| MovableType, and Blogger. Its built-in
| content editor has optional WYSIWYG support
| and spellchecking. Due to its broad
| assortment of capabilities, Blogilo is
| arguably the most feature-rich native
| blogging tool on the Linux platform. It's a
| particularly useful tool for users who
| write multiple blogs and want to manage
| them through a single interface.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/12/hands-on-window-management-gets-better-in-kde-sc-44-beta-1.ars

Is Tabbed Windows Going To Be The Next Big Thing?

,----[ Quote ]
| With the release of KDE SC 4.4 Beta 1,
| tabbed windows is now available through its
| windows manager KWin. This raises the
| question, is tabbed windows going to be the
| next big thing after tabbed browsing?
|
| Tabs as a means of cleaning up the UI is by
| no means a new concept. It dates back to
| 1997 when NetCaptor, the first browser
| supporting tabed browsing was released.
| However, the concept really took off when
| Mozilla Firefox introduced it.
`----

http://digitizor.com/2009/12/07/is-tabbed-windows-going-to-be-the-next-big-thing/

KDE 4.3.4 now available for PCLinuxOS

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE has released a new version of the KDE
| Software Compilation (KDE SC). This monthâs
| edition of KDE SC is a bugfix and
| translation update to KDE SC 4.3. KDE SC
| 4.3.4 is a recommended upgrade for everyone
| running KDE 4.3.3 or earlier versions. As
| the release only contains bugfixes and
| translation updates, it will be a safe and
| pleasant update for everyone. Users around
| the world will appreciate that KDE SC 4.3.4
| is more completely translated. KDE 4 is
| already translated into more than 50
| languages, with more to come.
`----

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/?p=375

KDE 4.4 Solid Auto Mount Enhancements

http://www.benkevan.com/blog/kde-4-4-solid-auto-mount-enhancements/

KDE Software Compilation 4.4 Beta 1 Released

http://www.kdenews.org/2009/12/04/kde-software-compilation-44-beta-1-released

KDE Software Compilation 4.4-beta1 Out Now: Codename "Kompilation"

,----[ Quote ]
| December 4rd, 2009. Today, KDE has
| released a first preview the KDE Software
| Compilation (KDE SC), 4.4 Beta1 The first
| beta version of KDE SC 4.4 provides a
| preview and base for helping to stabilize
| the next version of the KDE Desktop,
| Applications and Development Platform.
`----

http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-4.4-beta1.php